Axles

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
painless

Axles

Post by painless »

Moving forward with the landing gear and am dealing with the axles. There is a tube that the 1 1/2" diameter axles slide into and are rosette welded in place. All the other landing gear components are then welded to it, and the, for a better term suspension tubes, pivot on it.

Trouble is, the inside diameter of the tube is too close of a tolerance to allow the axle to slide in. Is this outer tube really necessary? If a ring is welded on the axle to support the inboard wheel bearing, can't this tube be eliminated? Am I missing something here?

Wouldn't be sweating this if the axle fit into this outer tube, but since it doesn't, I am! :oops:
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
Bitshifter

Re: Axles

Post by Bitshifter »

I cut one side of the outer tube length wise with a hack saw and then slid it into place. I then clamped it tight with worm clamps and welded the seam. Think of it as a length wise rosette weld. I also rosette welded it. I tried many times to do it the plans way, I tried heating and cooling but just ended up wasting material. I was very happy with the result.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
HC85

Post by HC85 »

How about turning the axles down on a lathe to fit inside the outer tube?

End the cut at the correct position to allow for correct overall length. That's the way mine are. Slide right in, no troubles.

Rick
painless

Post by painless »

HC85 wrote:How about turning the axles down on a lathe to fit inside the outer tube?

End the cut at the correct position to allow for correct overall length. That's the way mine are. Slide right in, no troubles.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Got a friend working on that very solution.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients