details

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
jhughes

details

Post by jhughes »

Still working on #532. The devil is in the details. I got the mixture and throttle cables hooked them up made shafts to connect front and rear throttles months ago. Today an A and P friend noted that they were somewhat stiff. So we spent the evening working on lubing the cables straightening cable routing, bending the shafts to to clear the frame and opening up clevis forks to allow smooth rotation. Now they work smoothly. I got so caught up in making parts and getting them to fit and getting things done and moving ahead that it is only when someone comes along and points things out that you realize, oh yeah I meant to get back to that. I was planning on putting the tail and wings on this week but am now realizing that I need to step back and slow down and look at this logically and not emotionally.
The desire to get flying is hard to resist but the need to make sure everything is right is more important. We had two people who built a Vari eze several years ago at Lawrence Airport. They got F.A.A. approval and went out on the first flight and crashed. Fortunately the pilot walked away but it is a reminder that things have to be right before you go. Second or third opinions can be very helpful in picking up details you meant to get back to but never did. I am having them look over the airframe and give any other suggestions that need to be addressed.
dougm

Re: details

Post by dougm »

Hi John,

I'm in Douglas, ma (about an hour away). I'd love to come check out your progress.
Doug.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jhughes

Post by jhughes »

hey doug
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been taking the kids on vacation and between work and dealing with the last 10% (the last 10% takes 90% of the time) I have been pulling my hair out. I am at Falcon Air in Lawrence Ma. right now. I work one week on...on the road and one week home. I have to go back to work on tuesday the 24th but will be home monday the 31st so if you wish to come up after the 31st let me know.
john hughes
dougm

Post by dougm »

Hey John,
No problem. I'll get in touch after the 31st.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster