tail wheel/rudder attach

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
jhughes

tail wheel/rudder attach

Post by jhughes »

hello
Continuing work assembling #532. put the tail fethers on and am attaching the controls. I have a solid Scott tailwheel and the rudder horn is so close to the tail wheel attach brackett there is no room for springs the clamps are close enough to hook together there is only about 2 inches betwwen the tail wheel brackett and the rudder horn....is this how others have connected this?...it does not seem right.
John Hughes
JBMoore

Re: tail wheel/rudder attach

Post by JBMoore »

My LB-1 has a solid rubber Lang tail wheel, the tail spring for a Aeronca 7AC, compression type springs and a small piece of chain on each. Seems like it's about five inches or so from the rudder horn to the tail wheel bracket.... oh yeah, I used a Piper Cub style cast aluminum horn.
Things to check are the spring and it's location and if you made your own horn, its dimensions. Other than that it's pretty hard to tell if anything is wrong.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.