Who's Admin these days

Got an idea for a new conference area or new forum in an existing conference? How's about that thing that bugs you every time you use the forum? Tell us about it here!
Nick

Who's Admin these days

Post by Nick »

Hi there, a fellow named Stephen Smith is taking over my HC project and has been trying to register for access to the forum for a month. Is there anybody at the help?

Thanks

Nick
hatzadmin
Site Admin

Re: Who's Admin these days

Post by hatzadmin »

Nick - I'm Eric Livo, the current hatzbiplane webmaster. I can be directly reached at: admin@hatzbiplane.com or here within the forum. It is very easy to register for this forum. Click on the Register button at the forum page top right and fill out the requested information. If the Login button was selected instead, there will be a second Register Button to choose. I then check this information to allow you access to the forum as a member. NOTE: the forum has it's own database of users & passwords. The forum database is separate from the Hatz Biplane Association membership (login username & password) found in the main website at www.hatzbiplane.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from Stephen.
Eric (Hatz website administrator)
Hatz Webmaster
Dana

Post by Dana »

Hi Eric, what's the deal with the constant spam? I know forums everywhere have this problem, but nowhere have I seen it as bad as here. Is it that easy to register here or is it all sleeper accounts?

I suspect this place would be a lot more active if one could see the real new posts instead of the crap.
hatzadmin
Site Admin

Post by hatzadmin »

Dana,
I need to double down on limiting spam on the forum. Bots are trying to gain new user ids several times a day and it can be difficult to turn these requests away without removing legitimate new users. Bots are also posting using false usernames. I have not found out yet how to identify their underlying access to the system. I most likely will implement new procedures for detect and prevent bots from requesting new login privileges and posting messages.
I'll get this turned around soon,
Eric
Hatz Webmaster
painless

Post by painless »

Thanks Eric. Your efforts are very much appreciated
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
Dana

Post by Dana »

Over on the homebuiltairplanes forum where I'm a moderator, we added a required "what's your interest in homebuilt airplanes?" question, and we look at the IP address of all new users attempting. If it doesn't jive, especially if the IP points to eastern Europe or Russia or Africa, click, poof! gone. It's rare now for a spammer to make it through. Also any message from a new user containing a link goes straight to moderation for approval.
hatzadmin
Site Admin

Post by hatzadmin »

Answering an airplane question sounds good. The link detection is great. Thanks Dana, you've been an strong advocate for the community.
Eric
Hatz Webmaster