Wing Walk - One Side Only

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Wing Walk - One Side Only

Post by Ebby »

I just started fabricating the plywood pieces for the wing walk and got to wondering if it's necessary to put wing walks on both wings. An advantage would be a little less weight and build time. It would require a 'NO STEP' placard on the walkless wing. What do you think Classic/CB-1 builders, is it acceptable to have one wing walk only? :|
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
HatzLymanC

Re: Wing Walk - One Side Only

Post by HatzLymanC »

Dad's prototype and Dudley's plans have left side wingwalk only.

Lyman
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

It might save a little weight and a few evenings of work but think of the time it will take to repair after someone at a fly-in accidentally steps on your nice fabric job because they weren't familiar with the aircraft. We have used both wing walks many times during pre-flights and doing maintenance.
John Hanson HC012
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

Being as most of the pieces for two wing walks are made, I'm going with a walk on both sides. Thanks for the input!
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

The wing walk depicted in the plans of the CB1 looked a little frail to me, so I built the left side a little heavier and deleted the right side to make up for a little more weight of the left wing walk. I see the value of wing walks on both sides. How many times have I watched a helpful soul standing on the right wing walk helping a passenger enter or exit the cockpit from the left side? I WILL need a NO STEP placard on the right side.

Mark T