Kit vs. plans

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
DHinesCB1

Re: Kit vs. plans

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Thanks for posting the link Lyman (Tony, click on "project" for build progress)
I too am building in a one car garage..not ideal, but so far "doable". My intention is to build components, move them to a hanger, then assemble them there. I'm building the fuselage now (firewall back). Once that is up to covering stage I'll move it, and start on wings.
Dave
PA-12
Tony_Fletcher

Post by Tony_Fletcher »

DHinesCB1 wrote:Thanks for posting the link Lyman (Tony, click on "project" for build progress)
I too am building in a one car garage..not ideal, but so far "doable". My intention is to build components, move them to a hanger, then assemble them there. I'm building the fuselage now (firewall back). Once that is up to covering stage I'll move it, and start on wings.
What's the story on the upside down cub on your page?
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Well....I bought the cub to get a tailwheel endorsement and experience so that someday I'd be prepared for a biplane. Well I ended up enjoying the cub so much that I sorta dropped the biplane idea. One incidence later and I'm a hatz builder! curiously enough, I'm not allowed to fix a certified airplane, but FAA will allow me to build one from scratch...so, that's what I'm doing. (since I'm not an A&P) Long story short on the cub...use a simulated hard deck to practice engine outs.
Dave
PA-12