Choices Choices!

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
bwwillis

Choices Choices!

Post by bwwillis »

First off I want to say a belated THANK YOU to Melin Smith. I met him for the first time at Brodhead this July. I looked forward to many more informative times with him in the future but now with his passing I am turning to the rest of you for good information.

I have studied the plans for the CB-1 and the Classic Hatz. The basic differences I find are width, length, seat postion, brake position, recommended engine size and recommended gross weight. The similiarities are tube size and spar dimensions. I can't find any substantial differences that justify the greater gross weight. Knowing that the CB-1 spar analysis is for the 1400 pound gross weight plane I have concerns about boosting it up by 21 % and not increasing the strength to make up for it. Maybe I'm missing something. Please share your thoughts. I am ordering materials and want to feel justified in making the correct decisions.

BW
dougm

Re: Choices Choices!

Post by dougm »

If I recall, the CB-1 spar analysis showed the weakest point being the C/S rear spar. The Classic fuel tank has an aluminum top skin that attaches directly to the spars. I would think that might improve the strength, but I'm no engineer and no one has done an analysis on the Classic.

To look at it another way, as far as I know there has never been a structural failure of either model Hatz and I know several folks have put them through their paces to one degree or another. I realize none of this has any hard numbers to back it up, but I would feel perfectly fine choosing either model. If you want to do hard acro, build a Pitts.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster