Exhaust system

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
monteithrp

Exhaust system

Post by monteithrp »

I am looking for opinions on building a new exhaust system for my Hats. I was just wondering if there is a particular company out there that is better than another to have it fabricated from a mock up or if some one has an exhaust already built. I would love to see pictures of examples of what other people have been doing with their exhaust.

Thanks
gaylonhpugh

Re: Exhaust system

Post by gaylonhpugh »

I can't help. All I can do is add to the question. I too am thinking about the exhaust. I've an 0-320 to go into the plane and I'm sure somewhere in all the discussions and back issues I read about guys talking about getting a tuned exhaust from somewhere. I'd like to hear from ya'll about that. Thanks again.
gaylon
jhughes

Post by jhughes »

I not a lot of people went with straight stacks. So bought a straight stack set of O-320 exhausts from an aviation flea market. There is not a whole lot of room for under the cowl for anything fancy. if you get the measurements i found local shops that specialize in stock car racing set ups are more than willing to put together a set of exhaust stacks for you.
gaylonhpugh

Post by gaylonhpugh »

That's a thought J. I know a couple of guys that were into fabbing and running stock cars. I'll see one this weekend and pick his brain then. Didn't think of that.
gaylon
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi,
I was able to find a decent crossover exhaust on Ebay. No muffler(s), but a heat muff for carb heat. I had to do a little bit of slicing and welding to get the pipes to exit clear of the firewall, but it should work (famous last words). I have yet to finish my cowling, but it cleared my cardboard patterns.
Al