Slave Strut Question

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
hatz215

Slave Strut Question

Post by hatz215 »

Hello all,

I'm reassembling the old Hatz after a long recover, and can't remember whether the aileron slave struts attach inboard or outboard of the tab on the ailerons or whether it matters. Thanks in advance.

Steve
mtaylor

Re: Slave Strut Question

Post by mtaylor »

I'd try it both ways and check for binding in either position. Just for laughs and curiosity you also might try outside on top and inside on bottom aileron (or vice versa)to see if it affects travel of both positively or negatively. I guess that would put the slave strut out of parallel with the N strut, though.
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Thanks for the reply. For some reason, in my mind, it was inboard on one and outboard on the other. I'll try different ways and see how it feels.

Steve
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

It may effect the degree of deflection of the aileron, too. Let us know what you find out...
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

After trying different combinations, I went with outboard of all tabs. It feels smoothest there.

Steve
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Smooth is good! :D