trailing edge and gusset 6

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
PoconoJohn

trailing edge and gusset 6

Post by PoconoJohn »

I'm working on gusset #6, which goes over the tailpiece. I'm trying to understand how the trailing edge molding fits, as I see the notch of gusset #6 is further aft than the notch of the tail piece. The only reference I can find is a trailing edge drawing on page 7 (Bottom Wing) and I don't see how that works with the gusset and tail piece. Been looking at photos from builders online, and there's not anything out there showing the details of how it all fits.

Thanks!
John Cronin
HC 149
Ebby

Re: trailing edge and gusset 6

Post by Ebby »

IMG_0813.JPG
I made trailing edge material from sitka. It has a triangular cross section and a 1/8 " groove routed the entire length on the 'base or shortest' side of the triangle.
IMG_0817.JPG
I used a router to cut a slot in the trailing edge of each wing rib and made 'trapezoidal biscuits' to join the trailing edge with the tail end of each wing rib.
IMG_0816.JPG
The biscuits were inserted into the wing rib slots with T-88 and the base of the trapezoid was glue into the groove on the trailing edge again with T-88. See the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!