Hatz # 493 update

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mtaylor

Hatz # 493 update

Post by mtaylor »

My Hatz weighed in at 970lb. I'm pretty happy with that. I was hoping to keep it under 1000lb. I'm using an 0-320 E2D with no starter or electric except for a battery to power a handheld and a GPS. I did things like eliminating the left wing wing walk, but also deviated from plans by having 3 stringers per side instead of one. The side stringers are set out further by plywood bulkheads as with the Classic. I considered calling mine an SC1 for "Sorta Classic".

Hope to have the FAA out in a week. Sorry no pics...I can't seem to get my pics to move from the computer to the Forum. I need a 14 year old!

Mark T
Bill Rusk

Re: Hatz # 493 update

Post by Bill Rusk »

Mark

Congratulations. That is a good weight for an 0-320 electrical Hatz. I'll bet it is a great flyer.

Bill
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Just realized that I posted that I left out the left wing walk. It's the right that I eliminated. Be kinda odd climbing in from the right...

I have the local FSDO scheduled to come out Wed. AM for final inspection. Weather forecast is good so I should fly by noon. Sorry, Chuck, that it isn't scheduled for "Tuesday"! :lol:
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Had the FAA out this morning and everything went well. I now possess the coveted Pink Slip! Spent the day reinstalling panels, cowling, fairings, inspection plates, etc., etc (and found another missing cotter pin). A call to my insurance company didn't turn out so well, though. No coverage. A call to AOPA and I'm back in business. Hope to fly this evening. Will post results.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

OK Hatzers, ready for the news?????

She flew yesterday evening into a gorgeous blue sky without as much as a hiccup. And, get this, flew hands off! I don't have to tweak or re rig anything. A half hour of tooling around the southwestern Ohio countryside got boring. So after some slow flight, a few stalls and steep turns, I rolled her. It was sweet and smooth as butter. The control response is very fine. I know it's against all reason to do any acro till you have some time logged, but she was begging for it. Guys, I just couldn't turn her down. Oil temp settled at 200 deg., so I'll keep an eye on it. I'd rather have seen 190. I'm a bit over propped, so I could only get 2450 at full throttle at 4000 ft. Climb was brisk, though. Level flight, 2300 RPM showed 100 MPH.

I'm a happy Hatzer.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Way to go Mark! This is great to have two more Hatz's take to the air!

Now for the important stuff... pictures???
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I had about half a dozen cameras on me during the flight. One friend says he'll edit them and email a copy so I should have something posted here shortly. I may put it on YouTube or Facebook, too. Cowl has no paint yet, so she only has half her make up on.
RSouthard

Post by RSouthard »

Congrats Mark,,,we are very happy for you..I'm sure I speak for us all that we will all be waiting for your pictures..Thank you for sharing with us in your excitment and success and help in leading the way for us who are in the depths of building..Great job!!!!
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I can now say with all certainty to Hatz builders, KEEP WORKING, IT"S WORTH IT! :lol: