Balaced aeilrons

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Seneca3

Balaced aeilrons

Post by Seneca3 »

I am building a CB-1 with the Classic modifications. My tech advisor reccomended balancing the aluminum aeilerons. I'm not sure I see the need to due so with the low speed of the aircraft. However I might want to due basic loops with it and assume an airspeed of around 130 mph would be needed in a shallow dive. At that speed has anyone noticed any unusual vibrations in any of the control surfaces?
M Lightsey

Re: Balaced aeilrons

Post by M Lightsey »

I'm surprised any "Tech Advisor" would advocate deviating from the plans and I'd be interested in how he or she would envision balancing a control surface that has no structure or surface located ahead of the hinge line.
If they want to be a designer, let them publish their own plans for the "Balanced Hatz".
I'd find another advisor.
Mark
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

I agree. No need to balance and no way to do so with a structure hinged on the fwd edge.

Bill
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Gday,Maybe a bit late in the thread but while I have no idea of the benefit of balanced ailerons it is possible with a hinge at the LE of the aileron to have a balance system.An arm protrudes forward with a aerodynamic weight on the end.I have seen pics and I suspect that there is one top and bottom of the control surface from what I remember. Cheers Ross
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Balancing is used to prevent aileron flutter. I had a four aileron Pitts with no balancing of the ailerons that flew regularly at 180 MPH+ in a dive and never experienced flutter. I doubt the Hatz would need balanced ailerons. I've never heard any one speak of this phenomenon in a Hatz.