Open Cowl with Starter

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
hatz215

Open Cowl with Starter

Post by hatz215 »

A couple of years ago, some builders were discussing future plans to go with a J-3 type cowl on an O-320 with a starter.
I have an open cowl O-320 with no starter, but as I get older, the day is coming when I won't feel like propping that lycoming or worrying about others doing it. Have any of you made progress with the open cowl look with a starter ring?

Steve
JBMoore

Re: Open Cowl with Starter

Post by JBMoore »

Steve,
I have an O-290 with a starter, generator and ring gear fitted with an open cowl.
Attached are some pictures of my installation. The nose bowl was patterned off of a Curtis Robin nose bowl and an article in Sport Aviation, or Vintage, featured how the restorer was making his new nose bowl. The nose bowl is three pieces welded together. There are two sides, starting in the middle at the top and going to the curve at the bottom. The front is on piece with a stiffener lip in the ring gear cut out.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
hatz215

Re: Open Cowl with Starter

Post by hatz215 »

Thanks Jeff. I've got a lot of head scratching to do.

Steve