Elevator shape

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Paul Uhlig

Elevator shape

Post by Paul Uhlig »

As I was laying out the elevators for my CB-1 I noticed something interesting on the plans that I had not noticed before. The shape of the elevator is not quite the same in the 3 view drawings on the front of the plans compared with the detailed drawing later in the plans. As I contemplated this, I was able to find an inflight picture of Happiness, John Hatz' original airplane, taken from above and behind, and I was also able to look carefully at the elevator shape of the second Hatz built, Dudley Kelly's airplane, that is for sale right now on Barnstormers with photos. The elevators of Happiness, John's original airplane, seem to be continuously rounded on the trailling edges, appearing to match the 3 view drawing, while the elevator shape of Dudley's airplane seems to match the detailed drawing on the inside of the plans, more of a straight line trailing edge with a larger radius at the outboard end. I am wondering if Dudley modified the shape of the elevators for some reason when he drew the plans. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this, or had any information or thoughts about the two shapes... I think I like the rounded 3 view shape a little better. The area seems about the same. Thanks, Paul
hatz215

Re: Elevator shape

Post by hatz215 »

I wouldn't doubt Dudley tried to simplify a few things for the average home builder. Good catch on that, I had never noticed.

Steve
Paul Uhlig

Post by Paul Uhlig »

Thanks Steve. By the way, your airplane is beautiful...both before and after the recover! Paul
Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz »

I think what happened was that when Dudley was drawing up the plans he was just relied on some photos, rough drawings and phones call. My Dad used an old Taylorcraft tail on Happiness and I would assume he told Dudley that, but he probably didn't tell him he reshaped the elevators. Dudley probably just assumed the elevator was shaped like a Taylorcraft also. It just aesthetics, make it the way you want it.

Al
Paul Uhlig

Post by Paul Uhlig »

Thank you Al. What a pleasure and privilege hearing from you. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in answering. My tail is rounded now, like the 3 view on the cover of the plans. I like it. Paul Uhlig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Paul,

You're making good progress. Nice looking project!

Steve