Progress in Oklahoma

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
kconner

Progress in Oklahoma

Post by kconner »

Hey Guys,

Back in the saddle working on the CB-1. Torque tube is done, control sticks, rudder pedals, seat supports, turtle deck, done. Scott heal brakes have been fitted up. The small " V-tabs" on the bottom fuse are welded in place for the hat section stringers. The firewall is fabricated and hanging in place. Starting sheet metal work on both sides and bottom to form the boot cowl. Finished an engine mount for an 0-290 but came across an 0-320 I couln't turn down. Will build another mount using a dynafocal ring. I'm going to design my instument panel exactly like the panel in my J-3 using all cub instruments. The cowling will be open just like the cub but no starter or any electical system. I'm looking at installing a tow-hook with a release handle to anchor the tail while hand propping.
I have been reading all the posts on the forum and they are great. Take advantage and look at newsletters from years past that are available on CD and almost all the questions have been addressed before. The Hatz has been around a long time and a lot of fixes can be found in older newsletters. Will be in Brodhead ready to talk Hatz biplanes.

Kevin Conner
Jackal

Re: Progress in Oklahoma

Post by Jackal »

How to get a copy of one of these CD's with all the old newsletters????
kconner

Post by kconner »

Go to the homepage. Click on "The Association" then to the HBA store. Scroll toward the bottom and there is information about the back newsletters on CD. The CD I believe has a search engine to help find specific topics. There is a lot of good reading here and I would recommend reading all the newsletters as you start building. I found a lot of building techniques on many different parts on the Hatz that were very helpful.

KC
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Great to hear it Kevin! I've slowed to nearly a halt as I thought I'd outgrown my shop and begun working on a hanger. I've seen some others working in in garages, and am re-energized to get back on mine. Dan has gone to OH to pick up wing ribs from another builder. He has all but finished his cherokee restoration and is about to start his classic. That will get me motivated, but I'm still clearing my lot for my hanger. I hope to get the hanger built and then a house...then I'll be able to really get after the Hatz. Keep up the good work as I need a model to come see periodically. Take good notes at Broadhead, as I wont be able to make it this year...maybe next!
Dave
PA-12