Heat distortion

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Heat distortion

Post by orchardair »

Hi All,
I'd like to start a discussion about heat distortion.

I find that even though I have my structure in a jig (usually just a few blocks on the bench), when I sight down the main tube (let's say the leading edge of an elevator) that the tube is no longer perfectly straight.
At every intersection with another structure member, the tube has a little protrusion, which makes the entire leading edge a little "wavy".

1. What has been your experience?
2. what can I do to mitigate this, if at all?
3. What can I do to fix this? My guess is apply heat, but I am sure there are some tips out there on how to do it.

Thanks.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
jwhanson

Re: Heat distortion

Post by jwhanson »

If it's minor just leave it alone. By the time you get the fabric and tapes on it, it probably won't be that visible.
John Hanson
dougm

Post by dougm »

O/A or Tig welding? This is a common part of welding. Do you have the Tony Bingelis books? He's got a section on dealing with this.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Thanks for the replies,
I use O / A, and I don't have the books anymore.
dougm wrote:O/A or Tig welding? This is a common part of welding. Do you have the Tony Bingelis books? He's got a section on dealing with this.
Hatz Classic plans# 136