Looking for others who used Stewart System on their Hatz

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Looking for others who used Stewart System on their Hatz

Post by Ebby »

I recently finished covering my HC using Ceconite 102 and Stewart System products. All but the fuselage are up to two cross coats of EkoFill. I'm wondering if anyone used an alternative topcoat over the EkoFill. My reason is I want to paint much of the aircraft silver but Stewart's only shows metallic silver. I want the look of vintage silver finishes like the Vought O2U. Suggestion/advice welcome.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
Griff

Re: Looking for others who used Stewart System on their Hatz

Post by Griff »

That's a good look!

Metallic paints are usually normal paints with a very fine metallic powder (or flake) held in suspension. Usually, it's added when the paint is mixed.
My first step would be to contact Stewart and see if they'll mix you up some without the metal added. I don't know why that would be a problem, but I don't know all the regs surrounding aircraft paint.
Another option would be to spray it with the metallic paint and then spray over it with low-gloss/matte clear coat. It's heavier, but it should look pretty convincingly 'vintage.'

Good luck with it.

EDIT: Explain to the folks at Stewart what you're trying to accomplish, and they'll probably have a solution. They're the experts, after all.
stearmoth

Re: Looking for others who used Stewart System on their Hatzw

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Ebby,
I think I ecaxtly know which silver final paint you are looking for! We also have been looking for a true silver (aluminum powder coating) at Stewards and have not been satisfied with the sample fabric spraied with their silver - it looked like plastic, a grey silver color too glossy! We wanted to use their waterborn system, because it is easy to import and ship overseas whereas paints containg VOC liquids are almost impossible to ship!!!
We then switched to the Polyfiber process with a PPG Delfleet polyurethane final coat, which is fuelproof. We also changed the paint scheme as all may know. Also this paint was ordered with 90% gloss because we wanted a plane with the looks of 1930's which didn't have a wet gloss finish. We are very satisfied with the result and it is much more fuel prove than a Polyfiber Polytone paint. The Polytone silver although looks very, very authentic. I have once had the possibility to see close to Addison Pemberton's Boeing Model 40, which has a perfect silver finish! I think it is an. oldtime Butyrate dope silver. Concerning clear top coats,I would not recommand, tis is more difficult to repair.
I hope you find the right silver, which would look great indeed on the Hatz!

Hans, H.C.#78, Switzerland
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

In a recent conversation with Marge at Stewart System, I inquired about a silver paint. She responded positively that they actually have two different silvers. One is on their paint chip card, the other is not listed on the website as of when I called. The latter paint is waterborne and, according to Marge, will give the vintage silver I am looking for. My plan was to paint this winter but I am hesitant to ship waterborne paints when the local temperature here has been sub zero F. I used my time to build a temporary paint booth, purchase a Tekna Pro light gun and set up a dedicated compressor system. A local vintage aircraft restoration company swears by the Tekna Pro and has award winning paint jobs to show for it. I've also inventoried all the parts needed to begin the rebuild of my O-320-E2D. So, the winter has not gone to waste. I actually feel like I'm on the home stretch with this build.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
Griff

Post by Griff »

Ebby,
I'm glad you found a workable solution. If you're able to get some painted fabric samples from Stewart's, or if you make some of your own, please upload some photos if you have the chance. We'd all love to see them.
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

I decided to skip the silver paint scheme and am working on an alternative scheme. I'll post my design in the near future.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!