Wood is pretty

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
tlandrum

Wood is pretty

Post by tlandrum »

OK, this may be a very strange question.... but I love wood. I love working with it, and I love the look of it. I am going to be very sad to cover up all of the beautiful work I did on my ribs (because that I all I have finished). (Who knows, maybe they will come out with a clear fabric covering by the time I am ready to cover :D )

My question is... where is (or can be) the wood be exposed?!? I have seen someone who had the center section bow out of mahogany, and kept it exposed. I know I have also heard some parts inside the cockpit made out of mahogany, just because it is a beautiful wood. So can someone tell me what areas I should look at building out of mahogany, or at least laminating some mahogany in, purely for esthetics.

Thanks,

Tre'
Tre' Landrum
Plans number HCO157
http://www.facebook.com/TresHatzClassic
dougm

Re: Wood is pretty

Post by dougm »

Hi Tre,

Areas that some to mind for exposed wood could be:
Cockpit floor (maybe a nice veneer? Or some decorative molding around some of the openings?)
Front Cockpit Instrument panel/Glove box
Rear Cockpit Instrument panel
Any rear cockpit switch panels or maybe where you mount a radio?
Turtle Deck bulkhead right behind the pilot's seat
Control Stick handle
Trim tab handle
Handles for Throttle, Mixture, Carb heat

Hope that helps,
Doug
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
mtaylor

Re: Wood is pretty

Post by mtaylor »

Another place for wood is the control stick itself. I used a baseball bat turned down on a lathe. I like the feel of the wooden stick over a grip.

I agree, wood is pretty!