Ailerons

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
DavisD1W

Ailerons

Post by DavisD1W »

I'm thinking about buying the Aileron assembly kit from Makelan Corp. Has anyone built theirs from this kit? If so what did you think of it?
DavisD1W

Re: Ailerons

Post by DavisD1W »

I talked to Jeff at Makelan, and he said that the skins don't come with the kit because he doesn't make them. He said that he would send me the contact info of where he gets them. The skins are the part I was worried about, because I didn't want to have to make them. So there it is.... For any of you that were wondering the same thing.
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Hello!

I am currently building the upper wing panels and have been wondering what I was going to do about the ailerons as well.
I found an email address awhile back for a source, but the address was no longer valid. I know that a person can make a press and fabricate there own skins, but I want to save time anywhere I can, ( I'm not getting any younger!) so if you would PLEASE post the updated contact information when Mr. Shoemake provides it.

I was considering making them from wood, but I managed to build my wing panel with the aileron spars having a straight hinge line all the way to the tip, so hinge binding will no longer be an issue due to the incorrect spar tapers shown on the plans. So, I want to give metal ones a shot.

If anyone else will offer to provide the skins, or knows where to get them, please post as well.

Thanks, and best of luck to you with your project!

Rick
DavisD1W

Post by DavisD1W »

I'll post the contact info when I get it. In the mean time, if it helps, Jeff had told me that he gets the skins from the company that makes the new WACO's.
dougm

Post by dougm »

One option may be Aircraft Spruce as they have Cessna aileron skins available. I've never checked to see if they are adaptable to the dimensions needed for Hatz Ailerons.

I'll be buying mine from Tom Brown from the National Waco Club. He produces aileron skins for the Waco community and I know previous Hatz builders have purchased aileron skins from him.
http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/classifieds.pdf
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

One more option for corrugated skins:
http://www.airmetalfab.com/sites/product/skins.html
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

The Waco Classified add provided on this thread listing contact information for Mr. Tom Brown is no longer valid. The email does not work, and the phone number is his Ex Wife's.

I know this because she thoughtfully forwarded my inquiry about the skins to Mr. Brown, and he called me.

His number is : 715-613-0832

Skins are available and are 125.00 each, or 900.00 per ship set. (8ea.)