A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Bitshifter

Re: New Member

Post by Bitshifter »

I am 5 minutes from N57 in Pa if you want to fly down and sit in a fuselage. The wings and center section are hanging on the walls/ceiling but you can get a look at what is involved. I started 3 years ago building ribs and have tried to do a little each day but it is starting to look like a plane. I don't know how much room you have but it can be built with very little. I have a bunch of pictures on my site at http://edwinwhite.com/hatz.html
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
jptowey2

Post by jptowey2 »

Bitshifter wrote:I am 5 minutes from N57 in Pa if you want to fly down and sit in a fuselage. The wings and center section are hanging on the walls/ceiling but you can get a look at what is involved. I started 3 years ago building ribs and have tried to do a little each day but it is starting to look like a plane. I don't know how much room you have but it can be built with very little. I have a bunch of pictures on my site at http://edwinwhite.com/hatz.html

Thanks Ed. I enjoyed your builder sitr
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
hatzboy343

Post by hatzboy343 »

I am 6'5" and 240 lbs. mostly muscle, but broad shoulders and long legs, especially from the foot to the knee. I modified my Hatz Classic (after consulting my tech counselor)so I'd be comfortable. I originally built a mockup cockpit using 1/4"ply and firring strips and using some of the dimensions of my car seat as a guide, built up the cockpit. This allowed me to get the feel of distance from my seat to the instrument panel as well as shoulder room and knee clearance. Because the Hatz has a generous wing chord and wing area, I believed as well as some of the gurus in my flying club, that this design would allow for such modifications without compromising safety. I raised the upper longerons 3" and widened the cockpit by 2". By laying tracing paper over the plan using a scale ruler (1/4" scale) I drew the longerons at 3" higher and kept the stations from the firewall back pretty much where they are on the plan, but a whole bunch of other things become affected. The firewall comes forward by 1" and I stole an inch going to the tail from each station behind rear seat to tail. So my plane is actually 5" longer than the plan. The center section had to be made 2" wider to accommodate the extra 2" cockpit width, but the center section struts remain the same as on the plan. The outer struts had to be re-worked, but the wing stagger is the same. The mac changes slightly and there is more airflow between the wings. Also, the dimensions of flying and landing wires had to be recalculated.
I have an IO-320 converted for fixed pitch with a wooden prop. Been working on this aircraft for over nine years but am very close to being finished. I hand made just about everything, throttle quadrants and joy sticks,etc. and found this project to be the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I'm on the waiting list for a hangar and soon we'll do the wait and balance. I'll report in with the effects of my modifications on flight characteristics, unless the effects are really bad, in which case I won't be reporting in. Stay with it. Never surrender. One day your plane will be complete. I have some old pictures of early construction on the website for Ch.66
hatzboy343

Post by hatzboy343 »

That's WEIGHT and balance. Sorry.