Progress Update

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Re: Progress Update

Post by Ebby »

Your in for quite an adventure. Good building! I'm not done either but getting closer. :D
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
tlandrum

Post by tlandrum »

I have already had several people send me pictures of the EAA announcement... Congrats guy, you have built a beautiful bird! And I love how all my friends are surprised I already knew about your plane all the way over the pond! Great work, thanks!
Tre' Landrum
Plans number HCO157
http://www.facebook.com/TresHatzClassic
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Just because I am back at it, I figured I'd post a picture of my latest welding session, the aileron idlers:
AileronIdlers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Good to see your still at it!

I noticed that you didn't open the ends up and you that you left an extended amount of length on the tubes...... I went ahead and burnt mine up on the first try ....cause I didn't do as you did! ... I did those a while back to learn how to weld... or .....how not to weld.

Nice work!
HC85

Post by HC85 »

A couple shots ...my lower wings and aileron skin press. One more aileron to close and the lowers are done. Uppers already done, CTR section done. Fuse Next!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Nice work!
I might make you an offer on your aileron skin press when you're done!
Just to show the end result of my aileron Idlers (pre paint).
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Hey thanks!

I thought about bringing it to Brodhead this year and let some folks borrow it if they need to. It is not perfect, but did a good job for me. I used 2024 T-3 and liberal amounts of spray lube (WD-40) on the metal, after many practice sheets!

The sheet can get off kilter if ya don't pay attention, but that's half fun I guess. I have another friend who expressed interest in using it also. Maybe it could become a "pass-around tool"?

Your idlers are lookin good!
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Aileron brackets in 67 easy steps...
DSC_1418.jpg
DSC_1419.jpg
DSC_1420.jpg
DSC_1421.jpg
DSC_1424(1).jpg
(to be continued)
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Aileron brackets, continued...
DSC_1425.jpg
to be continued once welding has been done.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Sweet! ( I burnt the first set of mine up for those too! :lol: )