Interested in buying a Hatz

A general discussion area where you can talk about the various flying characteristics of the Hatz and Kelly-D.
C.Laws

Interested in buying a Hatz

Post by C.Laws »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but, not new to admiring the Hatz biplane. I have been looking at several for sale and am just wondering how well I would fit. I'm 6' and 250lbs . Most of my tailwheel experience s in citabrias of various models (115-160hp). Also,wondering if I should get some training in something else before considering Hatz.
Just looking for som honest opinions and advice.
wildhorsesracing

Re: Interested in buying a Hatz

Post by wildhorsesracing »

I cannot speak for other Hatz but mine would fit you fine. I am 5'10" and 250 lbs and she flies nicely with me in it. My CFI is 6' and 250 and he can ride in the front comfortably. But it is a challenge to get into the front seat. I am in Albemarle, NC and you are welcome to come fly with me anytme.
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
C.Laws

Post by C.Laws »

Very cool! I might have to take you up on that!
Yarddart

Post by Yarddart »

Looking to buy a hatz classic give me a call and we could compare notes 630-816-8825
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Question #1 - You will fit in a Hatz. As you know, it's a homebuilt so the original builder built it to his/her liking. Try it on for size first. I'm 6'-3", 210+ and I fit fine in the rear. No one fits well in the front.
Question #2- You have the correct type of tail wheel time for a Hatz.
Question #3 - You will feel more comfortable if you get time from the back seat of something; Cub, Champ, Citabria, etc. You will also experience sink rates not normally experienced.

They are good airplanes and I haven't heard anyone say they didn't enjoy flying one.

Good Luck,

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Jim Pink

Post by Jim Pink »

Hi, just saw your post and you would fit mine very nicely and it just so happens that I am starting to place ads for mine for sale. Jim Pinkerton
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Needing to sell NX687HZ. 2010 Bronze Lindy with Rotek 3600 engine. 100 + hrs, but medical problems limiting my use of this fine airplane.
John Kerr
435-757-7420