Dates for Brodhead 2017?

News and Field Reports of fly-ins around the country where Hatz Nutz gather.
jptowey2

Dates for Brodhead 2017?

Post by jptowey2 »

HI Hatz-ers...

I was wondering dates for the 2017 Hatz Fly-in have been set yet?

Never been to Brodhead, Oshkosh, or the Biplane Fly-in, and hoping to get my work schedule set to go out to one of them.

I've been trolling site for while, have purchased plans (#187 HC), and have started building ribs (with some help of extra parts from an other Club Member). I've never been for a ride in a Hatz, and while I have sat in a fuse under construction -- would sure like to make sure I fit on the real deal.

If this was your first rodeo, would you do you Brodhead or Oshkosh? I can only get enough time off for one (hopefully) and was wondering which would be a better view on Hatz? If there were several Classics I'd lean toward Oshkosh -- but from what I read -- sounds like Brodhead the way to go if you want to see a Flying Hatz?

Thanks for any and all advice -- Jim
Jim
Hatz Classic Plan #187
Sandwich, MA
JBMoore

Re: Dates for Brodhead 2017?

Post by JBMoore »

Brodhead is traditionally the weekend before Oshkosh... July 21, 22 and 23, 2017.
Friday is the gathering day for fun and flying. Saturday morning is the Association's business meeting followed with more fun and flying. Sunday is departure day.
If you are flying to OSH, the group usually leaves around 9 ish, or when the fog burns off, Sunday and makes a fuel stop along the way.
The local EAA Chapter at Brodhead is an excellent host for the weekend. They have a fish boil on Friday night and pork chops on Saturday. (their fundraisers) You can camp on the field or stay in one of the local motels.
Follow this link to their Chapter website: http://www.eaa431.org. They will start posting details about the weekend early to mid-July.
Hope to can work out the arrangements.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Sorry, I didn't read your complete post.
It's a guess as to which location has the most planes.. weather, distance, that kinda' stuff.
Brodhead has a more relaxed setting and there are usually several Classic builders in attendance that will share information and pictures even if they didn't fly.
Oshkosh is busy and you may not see everything you want without a schedule. I doubt if you would see a flying Hatz, let alone get a ride in one.
The HBA has a forum at OSH where builders, flyers and tire kickers meet and discuss all thing relevant. Its time and date won't be set until May or June. You can search the AirVenture forms site for details.
I go to both, have for years. I made it part of my routine and haven't regretted it.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Can't ad much to Jeff's post other than to say, in a nutshell, brodhead is good for up close Hatz and Pietenpol stuff including rides. Oshkosh is EVERYTHING else aviation, but still includes some up close Hatzes. You won't be getting any rides at Oshkosh because we (I) tend to fly in to get to Oshkosh, then fly out to get home. Too much hassle and traffic to do any other flying there. Brodhead is free, except for meals. Oshkosh is somewhat expensive. Either way, looking forward to meeting you at one or the other!
wildhorsesracing

Post by wildhorsesracing »

My wife and I did both last year for the 1st time. I would recommend you do both if you can squeeze it in. The Pork Chops, Aircraft and camaraderie at Brodhead are worth the trip. We arrived at Brodhead late Friday and stayed until after breakfast Sunday.

FWIW - OSH repeats itself Thu-Sun, so you can see it all Sun-Wed and go home mid week if you wanted to do Brodhead and OSH.
-Jim Pantas
N89DG
kconner

Post by kconner »

Hello Hatzers,
Jeff has it right the dates for Brodhead will be July 21, 22, 23rd. Cindi and I were unable to make it last year but plan to be there in July. We plan to arrive along with Mark Lightsey flying our CB-1's mid-day Thursday and head to OSH on Sunday. We will plan to have our Hatz Association meeting Saturday morning at 10:00 am. I am finishing up the condition inspection on the Radio Flyer and so far everything looks good. I did receive an email from Mark Forss with EAA and confirmed our Hatz Biplane forum on Wed afternoon the 26th at OSH. Jim Pinkerton reports the sales for the CB-1 plans are up considerably and I expect a lot of lookers at OSH. During our meeting at Brodhead we will begin discussing plans for the 50th Anniversary Celebration 2018 at Brodhead, OSH and Blakesburg. I am very excited and can't wait to fly in to Brodhead and visit with all Hatzers and hop some rides.

Who's flying their Hatz to Brodhead? Lets us know! Get your helmet and goggles on and let's GO!
Good times!

Tailwinds and safe landings!
Kevin Conner
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Usual plan for me. Arrive sometime Friday around noon, camp on the field and depart for OSH Sunday. May try to sneak out Thursday afternoon.
Jennifer and Madison will be driving to OSH but I'm not sure if they will be able to attend MrHatz.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Brodhead Chapter 431 has published their information page concerning the flyin:

http://www.eaa431.org/2017-pietenpolhat ... formation/

See you there!

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Just read on the Cheeseland's FB page where strong winds have uprooted some trees. Looks like our normal area won't be the same.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I hope it blew a couple million mosquitos into Canada! Or Michigan...