Progress Update

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Re: Progress Update

Post by orchardair »

Just to show that I am not 100% lazy or anything, here is the next step - welded (although not very pretty):
1494379763623 (1).jpg
Next will be cutting the excess metal, and shortening the tubes to required length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Much lighter now...
metal removed.jpg
The one edge of the (rectangular tube) pieces which is laying on the bench is sometimes shown as being metal. In my case it is air. I did not weld anything on that edge - just removed a bunch of metal.
Since the longer of the two 3/8" tubes goes all the way through the rectangular tube, I figured it is sturdy enough for this non-structural part.
In other words - I added lightness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

20170520_165508.jpg
I needed to throw in a progress update since I finally got it pushed out of the garage.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
1964m20e

Post by 1964m20e »

looking good
HC85

Post by HC85 »

NICE!!!

I love it!

Looking forward to the day when my ship is at that level of completion!
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

What a beauty!
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

One of my "How did you ..." pictorial essays.
This time, perpendicular tube-in tube with doublers. This is used several times in the Hatz Classic. Specifically in this case I am working on the landing gear parts.

Step 1:
I drill the hole for the bushing tube before I cut the long tube to length. This gives me freedom to drill wherever the drill bit hits the tube. Also leave enough length (1/2" ?) at the short side of the tube beyond the hole, to make things easier.
Drill pre-cut.jpg
Step 2:
Cut the bushing tubes over-sized, ream the hole, cut the long tube to size (measure twice!).
Cut to length.jpg
Step 3:
Tack-weld the bushing, but only on the part that won't be cut off (see later).
Tack weld.jpg
Step 4:
Using a combination of angle-grinder, bench grinder, jedi-force and any other trick you have, cut the long tube to shape.
Shape.jpg
Step 5:
Prepare the doublers. In this case I don't think these are on the files you can download for your waterjet cutter. I just used my angle grinder to cut them from 0.050 sheet, finished on the sander.
Doublers.jpg
The next few steps will be in a separate post. I guess there's a limit to how many pictures or size a single post can have.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

...(continued)

Step 6:
Position and tack-weld the doublers.
Tack Doubler.jpg
Step 7:
Heat and bend the doublers.
Heat bend.jpg
Step 8:
Ready to weld around the doubler.
Ready to weld.jpg
Hatz Classic plans# 136
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Nice. I haven't started on the metal other than the compression tubes but there is nothing better for building confidence than someone else making it look easy.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Here ya go, welded all around:
DSC_1868.jpg
Need to ream the small tubes to 5/16", shorten them to the correct length and drill the holes in the longer tubes.
Hatz Classic plans# 136