Engine Mount Dynafocal

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ray Beeninga

Engine Mount Dynafocal

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Looking for an engine mount for a CB-1. I have an 0-320-H2AD. I don't trust my welding anymore so looking for some one who knows what their doing. Ray at 918-916-1865.----Tried to call Makelan but got no call back for the last 4 mos. Anyone know if they are still in business? Ray B
Jim Pink

Re: Engine Mount Dynafocal

Post by Jim Pink »

I purchased a ring from Aircraft Spruce. this is the hard part and gigged it up and made the rest of the mount. I'm sure you can find some one to finish welding it. Jim
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Thanks Jim, that sounds like the way I'll have to go also. Ray B
vern

Post by vern »

The H2AD engine is not a standard dynofocal 2 mount. I believe the top piece has to be more curved upward in order to fit. It will not be a simple bolt on. I had one on my RV and enjoyed it's 160 HP. It's a bargain engine and not to be feared.
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Thanks for the reminder Vern. I'll check the mount on the rental 172 at our airport. I should have remembered that from my RV4 days back in the early 80's. We had a couple of RV6's with the H2AD engines at the airport and I should have recalled the mount. (My 4 was one of the first with a smaller engine, 0-290 GPU, still cruised 150 MPH) At 76 I notice I no longer recall many things------my wife loves to bring them to my attention. Ray B
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

I'm getting closer! I have the CB-1 plans that my plane was built from but also have the Makelan plans, or thought I did. Seems I"m messing six of the Makelans and one of them has the engine mount shown for the 0-320 Lyc, at least I think it does. Does anyone know the plan number and where I could beg, borough, steel or buy one ? Still can't get an answer on the phone calling Makelan.-------CB-1 plans no. 362 ------Hatz Classic no. HC-047 missing numbers 1,2,4,8,23,24. ---Thanks for any help, Ray
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

I still have not found out how to obtain a blue print or CAD file of the CB1 engine mount. I have the CB1 original prints for the Lyc 0-235 and 0-290 but I am using an 0-320 H2AD. There for I assume it may use thicker tubing and different spacing due to the different dynafocal ring. VR3 said they can make me one if I can send them the specs. Thanks for any help you can give. Ray B
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
I suggest sending a copy of the plans that show the points where the mount attach to the fuselage as well as a side view showing the engine center line and position. A top view also if there is right thrust (I don't remember and I am only 72). With that information, they should able to give you what you are looking for.
Al