Empennage

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Empennage

Post by mmarien »

I didn't see any drawings for the horizontal and vertical stabilizer flying and landing wires in Hatz Classic plans?? I was looking around the internet and it looks like the bolts for the hinges double as connections for the wires for other biplanes. Can someone post some pictures of how they did their wires. I'm also wondering if it would be worth purchasing the CB-1 or Kelly-D plans for some of the missing stuff on the Classic plans?
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
jwhanson

Re: Empennage

Post by jwhanson »

Hi Murray,
Will this help?
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

It's been done several ways. Sheet 24 of the CB-1 plans shows the details, which is the way I did it. Sheet 23 shows the wire lengths.
The CB-1 is a copy of the J-3 Cub system. An inner bushing, with two outer bushings, at the hinge location. The attach bolt goes through a bushing in the stabilizer spar centered on the hinge.
From John's picture, it looks like he used the strap method where a u-shaped strap goes around the elevator/rudder spars with an attach bolt in the stabilizer spar.
In either case, the attach point is centered on the hinge.
The lower attach point is a strap, across both longerons, centered on the bolt hole that attaches the tail spring.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Perfect. Thanks again. The picture and the description answers a lot of questions. I think I'll order the CB-1 plans. The Classic plans have the wire lengths but no details. I have a J3 Cub next door. I'll also go have a close look at it again. I'll probably end up building a J3 if I don't watch out.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada