Dynafocal Engine Mount blue print----Still looking

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ray Beeninga

Dynafocal Engine Mount blue print----Still looking

Post by Ray Beeninga »

I'm ready to mount the engine as soon as I build the mount. But I only have blue prints for the 100 hp conical mount. I have the dynafocal ring from a crunched RV 6 but would like to buy the building blue print and instructions on how it's set up in a jig for building same. I assume there are CB I's flying with 0-320's using dynafocal mounts. Anyone willing to sell the info on what the best practice to use is ?
PS: Got the wings and center section all covered as well as the wing flippers rudder and elevators. Changed the cable elevator control to push rod style and have the seats, rudder peddles/cables and floor boards installed. Change the rear seat to aprox 17 deg back slant and it's COMFORTABLE ! Any one shim their landing gear axcels to tow in? If so how much ? Can't remember the degrees I did on my RV4. Thanks for any help, Ray B
alvinsager

Re: Dynafocal Engine Mount blue print----Still looking

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
My CB-1 project came with a dynafocal and a O-320. Not sure if the mount is on the plans but I will check. If not, I can draw it for you. It may take a few days, busy time of year.
Al
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
Checked my plans and only have the non dynafocal mount. I will get my mount from the hangar and make you a drawing.
Al
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
I took some pictures of my mount. I assume you have the plans drawing. This mount is very similar except for the dynafocal ring. As long as you keep the thrust line in the same place you should be fine. If you did not lengthen the fuselage you may want the engine closer to the firewall. There appears to be no down or right thrust built in.
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Thanks Al, That helped a bunch. By the way, that is a dynafocal mount verses the conical mount. My plans show the thrust line 2 inches below the top of the top longeron. I'm using the H engine and that 2"s will not set the top of the engine low enough in the cowl. I'll have to lower it 1 or 2 inches. Didn't lengthen fuselage so will move as close to firewall as practical. Ray
Ray Beeninga

Post by Ray Beeninga »

Gave up looking. got the ring off a crashed RV6 and started from scratch. A bit of a hassle but the engine is now mounted and I'm hooking up the controls. I turn 77 wednesday and still hoping I can climb in to fly it, if I finish it! Ray B
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ray,
That's great. I didn't do the mount pictured but for the one for my Cygnet I had to make a fixture to get the centerline, left and down-thrust just right. I just turned 73 and hope to get my Hatz finished in time to enjoy it. Just spent a ridiculous amount of time on a "simple" engine swap on my Cygnet to a stroked version of the VW that is 3/4" wider than the original. Lots of small issue when you change things.
Best,
Al
painless

Post by painless »

I’m late to this party, but Wag Aero has pre welded dynamical rings available that you can then add the appropriate tubing to mount it to your aircraft.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients