Trim Handle stability on Hatz Classic

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Ebby

Trim Handle stability on Hatz Classic

Post by Ebby »

Believe it or not after 17 years (part time) of course my Classic is getting ready for Phase 1 flight testing. I'll get right to it. The trim handle is built to plans and operates very smoothly. My question/issue is about how well does the handle keep the trim in position during flight. Yes there is a knob to adjust tension but the surface area on the end of the trim handle axle is not great. I've put a wrench on the bolt and tightened the knob but I feel the aerodynamic forces will streamline the tab in flight or even cause a fluttering trim tab. At this point I am about to remove the knob and put a nyloc nut on the bolt to tension the handle. Have any Classic builders modified the trim handle to provide better friction to hold the trim handle and trim tab in a secure position?
IMG_0125.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
jwhanson

Re: Trim Handle stability on Hatz Classic

Post by jwhanson »

Ours has been working well for 10 years. No slippage at all.
John Hanson
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

Thanks for the field report :D
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Congrats on your completion! Lookin real good! I am looking forward to seeing more pics!

Good to know on the trim knob...I was wondering about the same thing!

I'm at 90 percent 90 to go stage, looking forward to getting where you are. I'm working on the engine mount now. Airframe's built.

Best of luck to you, and again congrats!

Rick
HC85