Flying wire vs cables

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Roy Miles

Flying wire vs cables

Post by Roy Miles »

Who has used steel cable in place of the flying wire. What size was used and how did it work out?
Dana

Re: Flying wire vs cables

Post by Dana »

My plane (I didn't build it myself) has cables. Not sure of the sizes, have to check. I'm sure they cost some speed but I don't know how much... I cruise 70 knots at 2200 rpm with a 125HP O-290.
dougm

Post by dougm »

The cables work fine, they just slow you down a lot. When I flew with and talked to the previous owner (not original builder) of Dana's Hatz, he speculated that the wires cost him around 10 mph. He's probably right. A round cross section generates 9x more drag than a streamlined cross section of the same thickness. Given that fact AND that the thickness of a flying wire is substantially less than that of the cable, I'll wager that the cables generate quite a bit more than the 9x additional drag vs. a flying wire.

If you can afford flying wires I'd definitely go for it.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Roy Miles

Post by Roy Miles »

Dana wrote:My plane (I didn't build it myself) has cables. Not sure of the sizes, have to check. I'm sure they cost some speed but I don't know how much... I cruise 70 knots at 2200 rpm with a 125HP O-290.
It would b great if you could check the sizes and let me know,
Dana

Post by Dana »

On my plane, the front flying wires and the center section wires are 1/4". The rear flying wires and the landing wires are 3/16", and the tail wires are 5/32". Not saying that's adequate, I haven't done any analysis, but apparently the wings haven't fallen off yet in thirty years of flying... Turnbuckles on all wires, they're pretty pricey nowadays too, though not as bad as streamline wires.

Gus Mihlebach, the original builder, is an engineer, and it shows. The cables are nicopress swaged, then wrapped with wire and soft soldered, just like the woven splices used to be.
IMG_20190612_160116_reduced.jpg
loop_reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Dana, great to see you enjoying that Hatz! I miss seeing it around, but happy to know it's in good hands and getting flown regularly.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Dana

Post by Dana »

I'll have to come visit one of these days...