Wood spar inspection

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Taildragger

Wood spar inspection

Post by Taildragger »

Hi,

New member and Hatz CB-1 owner. Recently purchased it from the original builder. Was completed in 1982. Only time it ever sat outside was when he flew it to Oshkosh in 1982. Only has 156 hours tt with Lycoming 0320. Has been sitting in his hanger and not flown in 23 years. Workmanship, fabric and paint all appear top quality. Paint litterely looks like it is only a couple years old. Fabric is all tight as a drum with no wrinkles. Removed the wings and trailered it home. Wings off still fabric all tight and no wrinkles. What is the opinion on wether I should start cutting open all the inspection cover openings in the wings? Or how else do I ensure no cracks? Advice? Thank you.

Scott
JBMoore

Re: Wood spar inspection

Post by JBMoore »

Inspection cover openings are there to be opened for a look-see. I was taught to open them at the first condition inspection. or earlier if necessary, to look at things inside.
You will not hurt anything if you open them.
Look at the spar end grain, around any fitting bolt locations, etc.
Use good lighting, a mirror and a second set of eyes if need be.
Good luck.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Taildragger

Post by Taildragger »

Thanks. Have owned a half dozen planes over the years. This is my first experience with wood. My long time mechanic has been out of town for over a month. I actually have worked on it like a mad man and have it up and running! Everything is looking really good. Cylinders bore scoped excellent. Very light brown rust in some areas, no pitting, still a glisten of oil in spots. Was amazed. Inspected exhaust and painted. Pulled rocker covers off and looked like new inside. New intake/exhaust/rocker gaskets. New alternator belt, intake tube sleeves, oil drain tube sleeves, oil cooler hoses, fuel hose, tires, tubes, clean repack wheel bearings, pulled calipers, cleaned new piston orings. O/h carb. New battery. Was parked with car gas so the biggest issue was getting the fuel tank, lines, valve cleaned out. Took a lot of time. Fired on first blade! On to inspecting the wings! Thank you.

Scott
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Scott,

We'd love to see some pics.

Steve
Taildragger

Post by Taildragger »

4290DA17-82A8-4109-B272-60C28C72DC4D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hatz215

Post by hatz215 »

Nice looking ship!