Lower Cabane Vee

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Lower Cabane Vee

Post by orchardair »

Builders,
Regarding sheet#16, looking at the Lower Cabane Vee. The sheet clearly specifies the two abutting tube size: 7/8" X 0.049, but on the profile view, just to right of the Vee, the sandwiching plates (spring strut fittings) are specified as having a 1" gap between them. I believe the gap size is correct, because of the details in sheet #17 regarding the part that fits between these sandwiching fittings.
The obvious question is: Does this make sense? Shouldn't the Vee tube size then be 1" O.D. ?

edit: found a post form Jeff Moore from last year, it appears that I am correct. using the plans as they are will cause a problem.
JBMoore wrote:....[with some omissions by me, AD]:
Not having Classic plans I don't recognize this reference but if you are talking about the plates welded onto the landing gear Vee... I'm with you.
My CB-1 plans had the same type design..... I used one thick piece on each side,..... and welded them on. When it came time to put the gear strut into the available space it didn't fit. The distance between the two plates was the same as the diameter of the strut tube so there wasn't room for the cross tube the bolt goes through... took some head scratching to get it to fit and I haven't had any problems. ...
Which ever way you choose, make sure you account for the cross tube on top of the gear strut.

Jeff Moore
Hatz Classic plans# 136
stearmoth

Re: Lower Cabane Vee

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Amit,

We solved this problem quiet easily:
We clamped the adjoining Spring strut attachment plates in a bench clamp and bent teh upper edges the amount of the cap in order they touch the Vee tube on assembly. Then you mount a spacer in place of the spring strut and weld one plate and then the second to the vee strut. This worked perfectly, however we agree that the drawing is misleading!

Good luck!

Kind regards

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Thank you Hans (and Sam).
This confirms my suspicion. I will follow your advice and add a little bend to the top of the strut fitting plates. I'll post a picture when I'm done.
Thanks again.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Five years later, here are some photos of the complete sub assembly.
Screenshot_20191111- 120113~2.png
You can see the slight bend inwards required for the welding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

From my CB-1 plans.... I thought it too difficult to roll the edges and you see from above what I ran into.
Jim Wright found the same issue and he put a tube-in-a-tube in the first couple of inches of the top of the strut.
Jeff Moore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.