Enlarged center section tank?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Dana

Enlarged center section tank?

Post by Dana »

Just a random thought while watching a Tiger Moth video... Why don't any small biplanes seem to have an enlarged center section tank that bulges above the wing like the Moths have? My Hatz holds only 18 gallons, I could add a fuselage tank but that'd mean plumbing and valves and vents and the loss of at least part of the front cargo space. With another 6-10 gallons in the wing I might not fly any farther or longer but sometimes it'd be nice to not have to pick up additional fuel for the flight home.
hatz215

Re: Enlarged center section tank?

Post by hatz215 »

You raise a good point. I don't know why we don't see oversized tanks. Just an FYI, our tank came out slightly large so that we had to make three blisters over the turnbuckles at the tank straps. Turns out it holds twenty gallons.

Steve
alvinsager

Re: Enlarged center section tank?

Post by alvinsager »

Fuel Tank 10.08.05-6.JPG
Hi All,
I sold the tank that came with the project I acquired and built one similar to what the Classic uses. The top of the tank is the top of the center section. I calculated that it will hold 25 gallons which I thought was better when using a 0-320. I found out why the Classic uses a 3/32 thickness for the top when mine (1/16") warped and puckered. I wound up riveting the top on with pro-seal (still 1/16").
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.