Tube notching

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
beechdrvr

Tube notching

Post by beechdrvr »

Wasn’t sure where to put this but this thread has the most posts.
I’m getting tuned up to start welding my fuselage and have some questions on how the notching was done.
I’ve tried to get results from using a tubing notcher, a mill, and a lathe.
So far the mill gives the best results but anything except perpendicular is difficult.
The lathe seems to be the best.
DB3DC217-38AA-48D2-903B-8737B64CE40A.jpeg
The notcher gave the worst as the center of the cutter was not inline with the tube giving the results shown.
187487CE-7E54-4BCE-BA37-E572CE48A4F7.jpeg
What seems the most popular way of notching out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alvinsager

Re: Tube notching

Post by alvinsager »

Hi,
I did all of my tube fitting with a bench grinder. One of the two wheels was dressed to a radius. Yes, they still have to be deburred. I was shocked one year at Oshkosh when I saw someone fitting tubes with a snips. He was so good that the joints I watched him do were more than good enough to weld with no trimming. Tubing was .035" wall.
The best answer depends on your equipment and preference.
Al
painless

Post by painless »

What welding method are you planning to use? If gas welding, your fit ups need nor be as precise as with TIG. Personally I used a tube notcher for my TIG welded fuselage and got good results. Perhaps you could modify/adjust your notcher to get better results.

Believe it or not, the old salts notched tubes with tin snips.

Wait a minute.... Technically *I’m* becoming an old salt!! :roll:
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
beechdrvr

Post by beechdrvr »

Thanks for the input guys.
I’ll be TIG welding and the lathe is now producing some outstanding fit ups. I will play some more with the notcher but in the end I think the lathe will do.
On a side note on notching, did you guys cut a full radius into the tube or just notch till you came in tangent to the ID of the tube? I’m thinking not that deep, just to the ID of the tube so you don’t weld over a paper thin section of ear on the tube. Thoughts?
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I used a grinding wheel, rat tail file and cut as big a radius as I could so there would be as much surface area as possible for the weld.
Attached is a picture from AC 43.13. I bought (at the time the only way) a copy for reference. I figured, if I got stumped on something, I could look up how the real world is supposed to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

You might like to try using the coping calculator linked below.
You enter the parameters of your joint, tubing wall thickness, diameter, angle, etc. The calculator then generates a wavy pattern. You print that pattern, trim along the wavy line, then wrap that pattern around your tube. Trace the wavy line onto your tube and you’re ready to grind, or snip. It’s really cool how it works.

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi
Dana

Post by Dana »

When I built a new landing gear for my Starduster I used a combination of approaches. The SD has streamline tube intersecting round tube. I modeled it in CAD to generate a paper pattern for the cut, and did most of the cuts freehand on the mill where possible (remember trying to draw angles and curves with an Etch-A-Sketch?), then finished them with a grinding wheel in an electric drill as I don't have an angle grinder. Some of the cuts I roughed out with a Sawzall first.
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

I say, if you found a way that works for you - great, keep at it!
I also found that my tube notcher was off-center. I fixed it with a shim made out of aluminum sheet. It has served me well since. The question about the thickness (or thin-ness) of the "ears" of the notched tube is valid, but you will soon find that it is easy to compensate for it with good welding technique.

The important lesson here (in my mind) is that it is perfectly fine to modify your tools to make them better for you, as well as to find the best tools and technique that works for you.

Plenty of good ideas out there - Build On!!
Amit.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
beechdrvr

Post by beechdrvr »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. Going to post some of my sample coupons in another thread. Feel free to critique.
Ebby

Post by Ebby »

TUBEFIT.zip
I used a variety of methods. All mentioned here. I did find a neat little application called Tubefit. Enter the tube diameters and the angle at which they will be joined and the program prints a full scale paper pattern that is wrapped around the tube that needs cutting. I thought it worked great. Most of my tubes I used the 'Joint Jigger". Next most used was snips and the Tubefit patterns and files. All was good nice tight joints prior to TIG.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!