Pre-buy inspection or tips for a pre-buy?

A forum to discuss resources, suppliers, tips, and general information common to two or more of the biplanes.
Pacer Pilot

Pre-buy inspection or tips for a pre-buy?

Post by Pacer Pilot »

Hi folks,

First post, please be kind. We have a group of *gasp* airline pilots looking at buying a CB-1 from a retired airline pilot we know. It’s powered with a Continental O-200 and appears to be basically stock. Toe brakes, starter and battery, handheld radio. This isn’t our first rodeo, two of us currently own fabric covered taildraggers (a Pacer and a Bird C). The third grew up in all kinds of GA, most recently had a Tri-Pacer in the family. Last guy has a Stearman in his family. Just looking for an inexpensive airplane to hop rides on nice days.

So what I’m looking for today is either a knowledgeable individual (preferably an A&P or builder) or a list of things to look for during a pre-buy with our IA if we can’t find someone knowledgeable near by. The CB-1 is at Spirit of St. Louis airport (SUS) in Chesterfield, MO. Any information is appreciated, I have been looking around the site but I have not found much although I may have missed it.

Replies here or private messages are fine. Thanks!

Jim
Dana

Re: Pre-buy inspection or tips for a pre-buy?

Post by Dana »

A Hatz is pretty conventional so any A&P familiar with wood and tube and fabric airplanes should know what to look for. Do look at the rod ends at the bottom of the front interplane struts, if somebody has pulled the plane around by those they can be bent. If the workmanship is good in the places you can see it's probably good in the places you can't see, and vice versa.

Pictures!
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

The CB-1 is a conventional tube and fabric airplane but it is a homebuilt.
Look for aircraft hardware and wiring. Look for the small things like things being secured properly. Ask to see the plans and if the builder varied from them. Not saying anything is wrong just look it over.
There have been no issues with the design and there are no A/D's for homebuilts. Homebuilts can have any type of gages, radios, electronics, etc the builder wanted so you may need to decide on the appropriateness for your standards.
There was a report of the holes at the top of the landing gear struts wearing so look at the typical wear points for looseness.
From a paperwork stand point there should be some sort of builders log that documented the materials used and pictures of the build. Registration, Airwortyness Certificate, Weight and Balance and the Phase II operating limitations should all be carried in the airplane. Log books will show the Condition Inspection information that was done by either an A/P-AI or an A/P or the Builder who holds the Repairman's Certificate. If you are considering aerobatics, the log book should show what maneuvers were done during the Phase I testing. Repair work on a homebuilt can be done by anyone so review any repairs that are logged and look them over.
I hope it all works out and you find the aircraft in good shape. You will not regret a CB-1!

Good Luck.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Pacer Pilot

Post by Pacer Pilot »

Thanks for the replies.

We’ve already been told he doesn’t have the plans. I made a cursory review of the logs, recently all work was done by an A&P including converting the heel brakes to toe brakes. The current owner scraped a wingtip, that is one of the reasons he is hanging up his helmet.

The statement in the front of the airframe log by the original builder says it was built to plans but I wasn’t born yesterday. Engine was overhauled by the builder but since the airplane has been flying since 92 or 93 I’m thinking it may be coming due for some work. One cylinder was replaced during a Condition inspection (by the A&P) in the last three years. The current owner doesn’t clean the airplane much, has admitted to leaving the oil cap loose once, and there is quite a bit of oil on the belly.

It looks like a fun airplane, just need to see if we want this one or not.

Thanks again,
Jim