Gear legs: progress and question

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
orchardair

Gear legs: progress and question

Post by orchardair »

Hatzers,

It's been a while, and the Covid reality is really putting a damper on this for me. I finally made it to the shop.
Here are a couple of pics I snapped as I am making progress with the landing gear:
IMG_20200516_161737.jpg
IMG_20200516_145933.jpg
This has been one of the more challenging part to jig-up, so maybe these pics will help others. A guy can hope.

Now that I have both sides done to the point where the triangle shape is there, I am wondering about the rest of the parts that allow the gear legs (once covered) to have a more aerodynamic shape - a couple of formed channels placed horizontally between the two vertical members:
Capture.JPG
I am not sure I am a fan. I might just leave the gear legs "naked".
Isn't that the original CB design? What do others think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
painless

Re: Gear legs: progress and question

Post by painless »

A solution is to make a plywood former the shape you want and then bolt them to the called for channels marked in yellow in your drawing.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

Here's what I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
painless

Post by painless »

JBMoore wrote:Here's what I did.

Yeah, like that! :D
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Thanks all.
Things to ponder, for sure.

Question for Jeff after looking at his builder's page:
You seem to be using 0.025" (fabricated) angle for the stringer and turtle deck support - My plans show 0.035" specified - was there a reason you elected the 0.025 instead?
Hatz Classic plans# 136
painless

Post by painless »

I went with .025 because it was easier to shrink it to form the bows that support the aluminum stringers. Plenty stiff enough as it is first bent to an angle then shrunk into the bow.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Interesting. It is also a bit lighter, so as long as it is structurally sufficient - win-win!
Hatz Classic plans# 136
Dana

Post by Dana »

The covered gear legs on my Starduster hid a crack that progressed nearly to the point of failure before it was visible. I'm happy to have naked legs on my Hatz.