What thickness sheet metal did you use?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Re: What thickness sheet metal did you use?

Post by mmarien »

It was a steep learning curve going from 2D AutoCAD that I used at work to 3D. The airplane is a couple years of slowly adding pieces.

I had a conversation with the mechanic next door today. He came over for something and noticed my bump cowling. I bought mine from Rotec. He was saying the speed ring was better for cooling. Something to consider in a warmer climate.

I was thinking of doing the cowling forward of the firewall in fiberglass. I just have to figure out how to go from the drawing to a mold to make the real thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

I made something similar out of aluminum and was pleasantly surprised that it was not that hard.
Remember that you will need access to that area and if it is one piece that you may need to pull the prop to get it off.
Of course if you make it out of glass it will be smooth and look much better than mine. :D
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I was thinking of making it in parts. The bump cowling I bought has three parts to it. It also needs access panels and maybe some louvers. They would probably be aluminum covers. I haven't worked with fiberglass much so this would be a major project. I'm working on the turtle deck and stringers so the cowling is probably be a year away. I'm way ahead on the planning and drafting because the COVID-19 is keeping me close to home.

I did have a look at your cowling on your web page. I like your air scoop. I'll probably do something similar but with fiberglass. Great to have web sites to research like yours and Hans and Samuel in Switzerland. I almost visited them a couple years ago when I was in France but I ended up not having enough time.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Get your self some soft aluminum, shot bag and a nylon hammer and try making something. I was shocked with the air scoop, it's far from perfect but I never made anything like that before.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"