Stringers

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmarien

Stringers

Post by mmarien »

I was looking around for stringer material. The plans specify mahogany. A/S doesn't carry mahogany that I can find. They do have spruce T-Stringers. I haven't looked for a local source of mahogany. If I do find some, it'll probably be door frame material and I'll have to cut and splice it. I was thinking of using Sitka Spruce.

Any comments on using something other than mahogany?

I did read the posts on here about methods to keep the stringers from warping.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
ssearle

Re: Stringers

Post by ssearle »

Hi Murry
I used locally supplied cherry but it is heavy. On my super cub that I rebuilt last year the original stringers were sitka, much lighter and easier to work with and scarf. I would go this way because they hold the fabric shape just as well.
Steve
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I used D-spruce from the local lumber yard. Mine are not T-stringers but strait with rounded edges where they contact the fabric.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
painless

Post by painless »

I bought 1x4 mahogany planks from the aviation isle at menards. Ripped them to size, rounded edges.
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Thanks guys. The spruce is lighter than mahogany so that is a plus. I read that mahogany is resistant to warping. Probably why they use it for doors - and stringers. I do have the top 3/4" of my spars that I could use to make some T stringers. Just rip them down the middle and glue them into a T. I was thinking T stringers for strength both ways like an I beam. Probably earier to add more formers to keep the stringers straight.

I know they have quarter cut Sitka spruce locally. A 14' 1x6 would be nice. No splicing.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

I ended up using the leftover tops of my spars for stringers for my Turtledeck that I made of wood. I bought a 14' 1x6 Sitha Spruce board locally for my side stringers. It's slightly less $ than capstrip from A/S and I don't have to have them shipped or splice them.
20200611_144014small.jpg
20200609_154954small.jpg
Full story here: http://myhatz.blogspot.com/2020/06/2020 ... -deck.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada