HatzClassic s/n 37 First Flight Summary EAA FTM Card 2

Coming up on that big moment? It's time to talk with folks who have already flown your bipe type!
Ebby

HatzClassic s/n 37 First Flight Summary EAA FTM Card 2

Post by Ebby »

I purchased the EAA "Flight Test Manual" as a guide to my Phase 1 flight testing. If not familiar, there is a manual and a set of test cards outlining a series of task to perform on each flight. The program has a generic format that allows use for several different aircraft. For my Hatz, a lot is 'N/A' e.g. retractable landing gear and flaps. But for my money it's better than taking off and just flyin' around as it helps to reveal issues one might not consider.

So my first flight was performed using "EAA FTM Test Card 2 - First Flight Risk Designation: High". Card 0 is a fuel flow test and Card 1 is engine run and taxi tests. I have an overhauled Lycoming O-320-E2D power plant and Sensenich 74" x 54" wooden propeller. The engine has channel chromed cylinders, Slick magnetos. SkyTec starter and one STC, the Ney Nozzle which sprays oil directly on the the camshaft via several jets installed in the oil galleys. As an overhauled engine with channel chrome cylinders I followed the Mattituck protocol for breaking them in. For the first flight engine RPMs were kept at 65% for the majority of flight. Climb angles kept low and an eagles eye on CHT.

My Phase 1 test field is Boonville Airpark (1NK7) which has a 2800' x 100' NW/SE grass runway in excellent condition. Sky clear little to no wind. I have been restricted to 10 miles for the first 10 hours of flight and 30 miles for the remaining 30 hours according to my Airworthiness Certificate because my propeller is experimental. The test flight card has several items to accomplish but I was most focused on the engine parameters and checking and recording temperatures a regular intervals. Initial CHT in the climb was 390 by the end of the 1.3 hour flight it was at 290. Still high but on its way down. Oil temperature started out at 210 and decreased to 185 by end. Oil pressure remained a fairly constant 68 to 72. Vacuum was above red line. So adjusting the regulator went on my to do list.

Preparation for first flight was in a Piper J3 Cub with an accelerated amount of Cub time just prior to flight #1. That said I was somewhat surprised at the amount of additional torque when bringing up the power there was a definite left turning tendency requiring much more right rudder than the cub. With a glance at the tachometer the engine was turning over red line. Well it got airborne pretty quickly and climb out went fine. For the stability testing I adjusted power to 65% and trimmed for level flight a 4500 msl. I let go of the controls and relaxed on the rudder pedals to witness a left wing heavy condition and the ball indicating a skid. So workload was increased during the remainder of the flight. I made notes to check rudder and aileron rigging. Most of the flight was straight and level with a duration of over an hour to allow the engine to continue the break in process. Towards the end of the hour I did a brief session of level slower flight at 63 MPH. I wanted to see what speed the stall would break. In level flight I reduced power gradually losing speed in 5 MPH increments. I felt no buffet and the nose dropped wings level at 30 MPH. Following that I did three simulated approaches to landing. Then back to the field for my first landing in a biplane with me at the controls. I set up on downwind at 70 MPH planning on slowing to 60 MPH on short final. I was high so I entered a slip starting at 60 mph until on short final seeing I was still high I relaxed on the stick (mistake). This allowed airspeed to increase and during the flare I floated. I could feel the plane settling and applied some back stick and ballooned a bit again relaxed the stick then added more stick now that the Hatz was ready to stop flying. Almost a three point with a bounce and I was down.

After taxiing back to the hangar I made a list of things I need to address before flight #2.

The most exciting event (think adrenaline): For the first simulated approach to a landing I reduced power to establish a glide and when I pulled the carburetor heat on I actually pulled the mixture. Nothing like the sound of a failing engine at altitude. Quick reflexes advanced the mixture and the engine came right back to life.

Aside from all the tasks on the test card the flight was spectacular. Such a great feeling looking over the side at the surrounds. Feeling the quick response to control inputs. I look forward to completion of the test flying and 'tweaking' so I can share the thrill and joy of flying open air in a biplane.
static.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebby
Hatz Classic S/N 37
Flying!
painless

Re: HatzClassic s/n 37 First Flight Summary EAA FTM Card 2

Post by painless »

Congrats!!!!
Jeff Orear
Hatz Classic #138
Peshtigo,WI
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=Patients
Dana

Post by Dana »

Congratulations!

Don't feel bad, I've pulled the mixture instead of carb heat by mistake a couple of times. I really should change one to a different shape knob... but with a Lycoming you really shouldn't need to use carb heat all in most conditions unless you have reason to suspect ice.

Funny, I almost flew my Hatz to Boonville this weekend for the RAF event. You may know my brother in law, Mike Baldwin, he said there was a Hatz almost ready to fly near him so I'm guessing it's you? Flies an RV-8 which is still a pretty cool airplane even if does have only one wing... :P
HC85

Post by HC85 »

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience ! Very exciting, I hope to be as cool of a driver as you were!
Wow, I can only imagine the feeling! Awesome.
mmarien

Post by mmarien »

Congats on your first flight. I bought the EAA Flight Test Manual although I'm a long ways from flying my Hatz. I think it's a better approach than just flying off some hours. I also took the EAA test flying your airplane course here in Canada. It wasn't based on the EAA manual but almost the same. Cool thing is that you get to determine a number of the V speeds for your one off build.
Murray Marien - HC 0180
Saskatoon Canada
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ebby,
Congratulations! I am somewhat jealous as I have lots more to do before its time to fly. My project has been stagnant for too long but I recently retired and am getting back to it.
Best,
Al
citabriarob

Post by citabriarob »

Just received my Airworthiness Certificate yesterday and am getting ready to start my "test pilot" activites using the same EAA card system. Thanks, Ebby, for giving me something to think about as I plan my first flight. Always good to have something to anticipate knowing that things will never be the same, but similar.
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Congratulations!
You managed to convey the excitement of first flight really well.
thanks for all the details in your first flight report. Keep it up please if you have more to share in consecutive flights.
Well done sir.
Hatz Classic plans# 136