Tie downs

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
arizonarotors

Tie downs

Post by arizonarotors »

Hi,

I purchased Gary Root's Hatz Classic. I have a few hours on it now and it is a delight to fly. Gary tells me that when he built the aircraft they put in the tie down fittings but inadvertantly covered them during the covering process.

Can anyone tell me where they are on the Hatz Classic?

The only page of the plans I don't have is the bottom wing and I suspect that's where I'll find the info.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
dougm

Re: Tie downs

Post by dougm »

Jim,

If built per plans, the tie down is located on the forward side of the front spar where the interplane struts attach.

The bottom wing plans don't really show the location.

Here's a shot of John Hanson's Hatz. You can see the tie down ring below the struts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

The tie down hole location should be 2.900 inches outboard of the front interplane strut bolt hole and about 3/8 inch ahead of the front strut fitting plate. Drill a few 1/16 or smaller holes and feel for it. It should be 1/4-28 thread.
John Hanson
arizonarotors

Post by arizonarotors »

Thanks Guys, I'll look for them where you indicate.

Jim