Wing Leading Edge

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
ronpenrose

Wing Leading Edge

Post by ronpenrose »

I am recovering my wings. Numerous dents in lower wing leading edge so deciding to replace. The current covering is .030 (pretty stiff). My local aircraft supply has .016 and .020 they regularly sell for leading edge. Aircraft spruce sells .016 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/m ... 330800.php. Looking for opinions on which thickness to use. I think the current is overkill but given it is dented, concerned about replacing with less thickness. I do not have original plans so not aware of what was original design.
alvinsager

Re: Wing Leading Edge

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Ron,
I am pretty sure the plans call for .020. Is it possible that your le's were a soft grade of al? 2024 is pretty dent resistant @ .020".
Al
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I used 0.020" 2024 for my leading edge.
I used ceconite and dope which lead me to cover the leading edge aluminum with the "quilt batting" material sold by Stits... oops... Poly Fiber. Seems to have worked well.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
ronpenrose

Post by ronpenrose »

Al and Jeff,

Thanks. Think I will go with the .020. The dents were imposed on my Hatz when I had a close encounter with 8 foot corn when I was learning to fly it in a very tight grass strip. The stalks and that stuff is like trees.

Ron