Wire Edging

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
M Lightsey

Wire Edging

Post by M Lightsey »

I was talking with Kevin this afternoon about finishing and reinforcing the edges of the cockpit sheetmetal and I dredged up these pictures that I took while restoring Bob Lock's CommandAire. Rather than just send them to Kevin, I thought I'd post them for anyone else who might find it helpful and while not a Hatz, the method is exactly the same. These first 3 shots show the edge being progressively tipped up to 90 degrees.
Mark
DSC01308.JPG
DSC01309.JPG
DSC01311.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Lightsey

Re: Wire Edging

Post by M Lightsey »

Next the reinforcing wire is formed. I used 1/4" steel. You could use stainless if you wanted, but it would be a lot harder to work with. Get the shape as close as you can so you're not fighting it for the whole process. Hold it in place with clamps and start working the aluminum down with a hammer and dolly. Go a little bit at a time, you don't have to beat it to death.
DSC01312.JPG
DSC01314.JPG
DSC01315.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Keep working it and use a pair of smooth pliers to tuck in the last little bit. Cover it with a length of 3/8" air hose following with some pipe insulating foam. You've got a reinforced cockpit opening that you can put some weight on that looks pretty cool even if you don't get around to installing the coaming for a while.
Mark
DSC01316.JPG
DSC01319.JPG
DSC01322.JPG
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Last Ones
DSC01323.JPG
DSC01324.JPG
DSC01325.JPG
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the post. Really nice work. I was wondering what alloy you used.
Al
dougm

Post by dougm »

Beautiful job! what is the width of the flange you are bending?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster