Aileron Horns

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
Bitshifter

Aileron Horns

Post by Bitshifter »

Does anybody know the location for mounting the aileron horns on sheet 20? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Ed White
HC 154

"In life 10% wrong is failure, in school it's an A"
orchardair

Re: Aileron Horns

Post by orchardair »

Hi Ed,
Unless I am not understanding your question, the bottom of sheet 20 shows it pretty well I thought.
Capture.JPG
Does this help?
There are 3 horns - the two that connect the top aileron to the bottom, and the one that connects eventually to the stick. All three are depicted on the sheet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

Thanks but I am looking for the location of the horns that connect the top to the bottom and there relationship to the trailing edge. It's the distance from the trailing edge to the bolt hole that I can't find. I took mine from the print and got about 3.5 inches from the trailing edge. With my connecting tube located there the upper aileron moves much more than the lower. If i move the lower aileron up 25 degrees the upper goes around 35. I think that the issue is that it's actually the distance from the hinge that's important. The lower hinge is on the same plane as the horn but the upper is not.
The print also indicates that 25 degrees up and 20 degrees down is equal to 2.5 inches and 2.0 inches of trailing edge travel. It's more like 5 inches and 4.5. Which number is correct 25 degrees or 2.5 inches of travel?
Ed White
HC 154

JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

The dimensions from the CAD drawing show 3.8" from the trailing edge to the center of the rod bearing hole for both.
I seem to remember 25 up and 20 down. You don't want them equal.
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
Bitshifter

Post by Bitshifter »

That is roughly what I have, about 3.5 inches from the trailing edge. With this distance when I move the lower aileron 25 degrees up, the upper aileron moves up almost 35 degrees. When I move the lower aileron down 20 degrees the upper again moves down about 30 degrees. If I move the lower bolt about an inch further from the trailing edge so that the lower is 4.5 from the trailing edge and the upper is 3.5 they move equally. The same is true if I move the upper back about an inch. I think this occurs because the lower bolt is on the top with the hinge but the upper bolt is not. The problem is reduced as the attachment moves closer to the trailing edge.
I was wondering if anybody else has seen this.
Ed White
HC 154