Cabane Fork terminals

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
rupertjl

Re: Cabane Fork terminals

Post by rupertjl »

Doug,
Count me in as well.

Jud
dougm

Post by dougm »

OK, so that sounds like four of us so far....
Myself, Ron Southard, Jud Rupert, and JD Gleitz.

Anyone else interested?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

I am interested, and would also like to know about the drag and anti-drag wires - are those in production? will it be possible to combine the two (wires and fork terminals) to one order to save on shipping across the pond?
Thanks.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
dougm

Post by dougm »

The drag/anti-drag wires are not in production. Most folks have made their own. I believe Hans & Sam (the Swiss team) have produced a set of streamlined drag/antidrag wires.

Regarding the fork terminals, I just want to be sure we are on the same page... we are not talking about the forks on the ends of the drag/anti drag wires. We're talking about the six forks that go on the ends of the cabane and interplane struts. Is it these fork terminals that you are interested in?
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Tim Ryan

Post by Tim Ryan »

Gentlemen,
I am new to the forum but have been looking at purchasing a set of plans to get started on a Hatz Classic for myself. I may be able to assist with parts since I will need a set for my future project as well. I build a lot of hard to procure parts for various airplanes. I have attached a couple pictures of the Staggerwing Control Column with new 356 aluminum cast wheels that I built a couple weeks ago. I am currently working on new and repair parts for a Lockheed Electra Model 10. If you had a group of 4 or 5 builders that need a ship set of the cabane forks I could build them for $50 each. Let me know if I could be of any assistance.

Best regards,
Tim
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

Doug wrote:
"...Regarding the fork terminals, I just want to be sure we are on the same page... we are not talking about the forks on the ends of the drag/anti drag wires. We're talking about the six forks that go on the ends of the cabane and interplane struts. Is it these fork terminals that you are interested in?"

Yes Doug,
I understand which fork terminals we are talking about, I was just wondering if the Swiss gentlemen were planning on making any more sets of drag/anti drag wires, and was looking at combining the shipment.
If Tim Ryan can make the forks for the same price but save us a bunch on shipping across the pond, then that would be of interest as well.
Just out of curiosity, what seems to be the problem with sourcing an acceptable set of fork terminals? Dis whoever used to make them not make them anymore?
Amit.
Hatz Classic plans# 136
dougm

Post by dougm »

Hi Amit,
No problem... just wanted to be sure we were all talking about the same thing. As for the Hans & Sam and the drag/anti-drag wires, you'll have to contact ehm directly to see if they are still producing them.

Regarding your question on the forks, when I spoke to Jeff Shoemake a few years ago, these were once more common parts, but now seem to not be available.
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hi Doug
Count me in for a set also
dougm

Post by dougm »

OK, so it looks like we are up to six including myself. And it seems we have two sources willing to make these for the same price, so I'll put it to the group. Since both are willing to do it for the same price if it is a group order, whom do we want to place the order with?

Thoughts?
Doug
Hatz Webmaster
orchardair

Post by orchardair »

I would say it is almost an ethical question...
If the price is truely the same *including shipping* then I would say the business should probably go to the first offer, or to fellow Hatz builders.
That would be my vote, but I will go with whatever the majority vote is.
Amit.
Hatz Classic plans# 136