0-290-C formally a "-3"

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
skomlodi

0-290-C formally a "-3"

Post by skomlodi »

Hi, Im Skip Komlodi and my co-builder partner and I have an 0-290-C formally a "-3" (used by the military) I noticed that Mike D had one and sold it to Mark and Jack, and was interested if they or anyone would have any information on that engine ie; what did the military use it on (I think one use was on a PA 18 - 135??) but other than that I'm looking for any information or sites to get the information. We have a CB-1 project and are thinking about keeping this engine or maybe sell it and look for and 0-320 (150 or 160 hp). Hope to get your input. Thanks
Skip
M Lightsey

Re: 0-290-C formally a "-3"

Post by M Lightsey »

Jack and I did indeed buy Crazy Mike's O290-3. It's on the nose of NX1279 and so far has been very happy there.

I found this article by Bud Davisson that gives a little historical background on the engine and the plane it was originally designed for.

http://www.oshkosh365.org/saarchive/eaa ... _12_13.pdf

We made the decision to try and find a -3 due to the fact that we could have the extra horsepower of a Lycoming along with a starter, but not lose the charm of the Cub type cowling and cooling eyebrows of the smaller Contientals. This is because the -3 uses a direct drive starter (E-80) mounted on the accessory case, rather than the the ring gear starter normally found on a Lycoming. The engine is very robust, has a deeply finned sump with equal length intake tubes, but uses an 8 bolt flanged crank, rather than the 6 bolt pattern on most Lycomings. The -3 bolt pattern is the same as that found on Franklin engines, which allowed us to use an Aeromatic prop on our installation. During warmer weather we have found it necessary to use an oil cooler, however the -3 is plumbed for this and presented no problems.

All in all, I think the O290-3 is a great engine for the Hatz and would not hesitate to use it again.

Mark
skomlodi

Post by skomlodi »

Mark,
Thanks for the information. The article you attached was very interesting. Sounds like the 0-290-3 is doing a good job on your Hatz. We are a ways away from flying, but research is hot and heavy. Thanks again
Skip
DHinesCB1

Post by DHinesCB1 »

Can anyone tell me the specifics of the E-80 starter used on the -3/-C ? I have a 0-290-G that I'd like to know if it could be converted to a -C so that I can use the rear mounted starter and have the J-3 cub type cowling.
Dave
PA-12
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Dave,
I'm not sure it's possible to convert a O290G that way. The accessory case is different and I think the crankshaft is different too.
On the -3, the rear of the crankshaft is set up with the dogs that engage the starter.
I have an early O235 on a stand at the shop that has the same accessory case configuration as the -3. I'll take a picture of it later today so you can see the difference.
Mark
M Lightsey

Post by M Lightsey »

Dave,
Here's that picture of the accessory section of a "-3" engine. The big plate in the center is where the starter mounts.
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.