New soon-to-be Hatz Builder, lots of questions

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
DLrocket89

New soon-to-be Hatz Builder, lots of questions

Post by DLrocket89 »

Hi everyone,

I've decided I'm going to build a Hatz Classic. I have a bunch of questions I was hoping people could help me out with...thanks in advance!

1) Has anyone ever fitted a completely enclosing canopy on a Hatz? I live in northern Illinois (soon to be southern Wisconsin) and I'd like to fly during the time of October to March. There are companies that will custom make canopies, just wondering if it's been done before.

2) Same question for the same reasons, only with skis. I saw on aircraft spruce they are about $6K for a set... :shock: Anyone ever make any at home?

3) I live in a rental home right now and will be moving to a different rental home in about a year. Because of this, I'd like to build up sections of the plane that I can lug around until I start assembly. That said, can I make the two lower wings and the one upper wing by themselves before I have to start on the fuselage?

4) How wide is the CG range? Another airplane I've looked at (and will probably build after the Hatz) is the Bearhawk. One of the nice things of the BH is that the allowable CG range is HUGE, which makes loading easier to deal with.

5) How big is the back instrument panel?

6) Are there any common modifications done to it?

Thanks again for any help!

Dustin
dougm

Re: New soon-to-be Hatz Builder, lots of questions

Post by dougm »

I'll throw in my $.02

1. I believe it was done once by someone in Europe (Germany?), but it was a bubble-style that opened to the side. Speaking strictly cosmetically for a minute, a traditional sliding canopy would look nicer. However, to do that you'd have to redesign the turtledeck and the transition to the tail which I wouldn't do without researching the implications.

As for the cold weather (I live in MA so I can relate), I think your limiting factor will be oil temp before it is personal comfort. If it is too cold to maintain a minimum oil temp then you aren't flying. As for comfort, I'm going to install a heater and plan on covering the front 'pit in the winter to minimize heat loss. Also, I do a lot of motorcycle touring so I plan on using electric vest/pant/glove liners to stay warm. Flying in the winter is fun, but can also be a pain. When I owned my C-170 my personal limit was 15-20 deg F. Below that temp I just didn't feel like standing outside for 20-30 minutes (or more) preheating my engine unless I was taking a long trip.

2. no idea

3. There's a lot of sub-assembly work you can do first. I started out small and built the ribs and cut all the smaller wood pieces, had the small metals pieces cut, began work on the compression tubes, etc. There's enough there in smaller part and assemblies to keep you occupied for a while. If you are in a position to devote yourself to the project a couple hours a day every day then you could move onto the center section, fuel tank, wings. A year can get consumed pretty quickly with all that.

4. Apples & Cumquats... I like the Bearhawk too, but they are two very different aircraft with completely different missions. I'll defer to others (especially Bill) on the CG topic, but suffice to say, it shouldn't be an issue for normal biplane flying. Again, back to motorcycles, I think of a biplane like a bike... one or two people and your stuff for a day trip. Cross country can be done if you understand how to pack light.

5. I think you'll be able to adjust it to put as much or as little as you want. I've seen some pretty bare panels and some loaded ones, but I'll defer to those more experienced on this one.

6. Are you referring to the panel or the plane as a whole?
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
DLrocket89

Post by DLrocket89 »

Thanks for the replies!

Number 6 was actually in reference to the plane as a whole.

Regarding the canopy, I want to be able to fly it open in the summer, so I plan on sideways flip canopies that can be removed by pulling the hinge pins.
Al Hatz

Post by Al Hatz »

I can address the first two.

1) Yes, Rich VanDerGeest from Merrill, WI used a canopy. It was hand built using small diameter tubing and plexiglass. I'm sure something like those used on Pitts, Stardusters, Skybolts, etc. could be modified to work also.

2) We used to fly both Happiness and Marty Schmunk's on skies quite a bit. First on Wollam's then on a set of homemade replica Wollam's.