Installing Aluminum Leading Edge

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the original Hatz CB-1 biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
ronpenrose

Installing Aluminum Leading Edge

Post by ronpenrose »

I am using .020 2024 aluminum. I have been researching and find that it is recommended to install the LE in two to three sections.

1. What are the guidlines related to overlap of the sections. Read it should be 1/2 in.
2. Would you install the two outer then the center over those?
3. What method of securing the sections?
4. Should the LE be pre-bent before installing?

The leading edge I am replacing was in two sections and used a 1 in backing aluminum strip which the joined sections was pop riveted to.

Would appreciate input from you guys who have been there and done it. Thanks.
mtaylor

Re: Installing Aluminum Leading Edge

Post by mtaylor »

When I restored a Pitts years ago I had to piece in a strip of aluminum L.E. where some one had put in a landing light. (Can you imagine landing a Pittts at night?!) I did it the way your L.E. was done with a 1" backing strip and flush counter sunk rivets. You just need to be sure that, when driving the rivets, the L.E. is in the correct curvature that it will be in when installed on the wing. This way, the aluminum doesn't buckle. To prevent the seam from showing through the fabric, you can either fill and sand or use felt fabric over the L.E. before covering. The only difference is that you have to use the sock method to cover instead of a blanket method since you wouldn't be able to glue the front edge of the covering fabric to the wing since there's no solid surface to glue to.
JBMoore

Re: Installing Aluminum Leading Edge

Post by JBMoore »

I used two four foot and one two foot piece of 0.020" 2024 on each wing. I started with a four footer inboard, a four footer in the middle and the two footer outboard with a 1/4" overlap on a wing rib. I covered each joint with 3/4" clear reinforced box tape and the complete leading edge with Poly Fiber's "quilt batting" under the fabric.
I prebent the leding edge radius and used 1/2" long nails straight into the filler strips to secure everything.. no fastening on the nose ribs. Some people put a 90 deg bend on both edges and nail into the back of the spar so the nails won't pop up and show. I haven't had a problem with the nails showing.
I had a buddy that built a Pober Pixie and used one continuous piece of aluminum and when the sun shine warmed it up it oil canned in several places along the length. I have not had a problem with oil canning.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.