Flying wires spreader bar

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
stearmoth

Flying wires spreader bar

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Hatzers,
We have assembled our Vintage Hatz Classic for the first time and also trial installed the borrowed (from Jurg Mueller) flying wires. Does anyone has a suggestion how to fabricate and install a spreader bar for the flying wires?

Any ideas and tips are welcome. Does there exist and drawings, sketches for this?

Brodhead is coming closer, closer.... see you there!

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
stearmoth

Re: Flying wires spreader bar

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Hatzers,
We have to clarify our question: The proper name for what we are looking some input is "javelins" rather than "flying wire spreader bar"!
This time we first fully assembled our Hatz with borrowed flying wires - we still are working on making our own....
We are looking for a vintage look type of javelin.
Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland
P1050537-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBMoore

Post by JBMoore »

I used a piece of 3/4" wood dowel rod I got from the local home center. I used my router to put a spherical radius on the leading end and my disc sander to put an angle to a point on the trailing end.
I tried putting slots in it at the correct places to hold the flying and landing wires but didn't have much luck so I just used round rib stitch cord to tie the round rod to the wires... and varnished over the cord so it wouldn't come loose. I've seen antiquers use varnished black friction tape instead of the rib cord.
Pay particular attention to the clearance at the intersection of the rear wires... where the one wire goes between the two. It's a tight fit and they may rub if things aren't just right.
Good Luck!

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Jeff is right about making sure the aft wires are separated. Here is an example of what not to do. This javelin/broomstick/spreader is just hanging on for the ride. When we were looking at the plane we noticed that all three of these wires had large notches in them where they have been rubbing together, requiring replacement.

Here is a better solution. Similar to a Boeing Stearman; they have cut a broomstick in half, and then created individual slots for the wires to ride in.

mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I did the same as Rawheels on my Pitts except the 3/4" dowel was only sliced at the wire thru points. Then I cut out pieces of dowel to fit into the cut outs and over the wires. Held the cover pieces in place with a small C/S screw and nut. Use a small half round file to file out notches in the dowels and cover pieces for the wires to nestle into. shape leading and trailing edges to suite on the belt sander.