"Vintage" Hatz Classic ready for covering

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
stearmoth

"Vintage" Hatz Classic ready for covering

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Hatzers!

We have now assembled our Hatz and it is ready for covering. To bad we have to come to Brodhead without our aeroplane!
See you there!

Hans & Sam, H.C.#78, Switzerland

P.S. see our updated website: www.aeroplaneworks.ch
dougm

Re: "Vintage" Hatz Classic ready for covering

Post by dougm »

Hi Guys,

Saw your website... looks great. I'll be there on Saturday.. mid-morning. Hope to finally meet you.
Doug.
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
RSouthard

Post by RSouthard »

Beautiful airplane even before cover. We can all only imagine what it will look like after covering and paint. You guys have set the bar very high for the rest of us and I appreciate that and your outstanding workmanship. Hatz off to you both!!!!
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

Hi Hans & Sam,

How is the covering going? What material and coatings are you using? Any tips you can share?
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Keri-Ann,

We are not that far, as we first have to proof-load (static test) the wing structure. This is a must in our country!!!
Concerning the covering choice, we made a long search and talked to many people about all the popular polyester fabric covering systems.
I (Hans) always wanted to go the butyrate way until I have been convinced that I will not live with the main disadvantages:
-That covering never stops shrinking
- Not enough fuel proof
- danger to burning

We then choosed the Superflite Sytem, only to find out, that they will not ship overseas!
So we are at the Poly Fiber system and want to go the PPG polyurethane finish (Sam wants the finish more durable and a little more shiny that the Polytone system (a professional builder over here suggested us this)
However, we still are awaiting a quote from a main American distributor (this seems to take weeks...)
Any suggestions where to buy the stuff?

Kind regards
rawheels

Post by rawheels »

Hans,

Just curious; Did you and Sam consider the Stewart products? (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/)

I can not give a recommendation, as I have not used them on any projects yet. I only mention it because you could get a durable finish using their EkoPoly system, but since it is waterbourne (not water-based) you wouldn't have to pay for the expensive Hazmat shipping. I imagine that has to be a huge cost for an overseas shipment, and maybe even faster if there are restrictions on the hazmat stuff having to ship via surface methods.

Ryan
stearmoth

Post by stearmoth »

Hi Ryan,

You are right: I forgot to mention the Steward waterborne sytem! Of course, we know about and considered as well! It has many advantages compared to the other solvent contained systems, the main are:
Non hazardous solvents/fumes
no danger to burn
No problems for overseas tranport

Before we decided for our colour scheme, we considered also silver wings. As those should look like a butyrate silver finish, we asked for a sample piece of silver painted fabric from Steward's.
This silver may work for a modern style composite aircraft, but definitely not for a biplane that should look vintage as it came out the factory in the 1930's! The general appearance of the coating is perfect for modern aircraft, but (and this is a personal taste) not for "vintage" airplanes.
Due to my profession I have some knowledge from solvent and waterborne polyurethane paints and my experience is that the application of a softshine (not wet high gloss) finish is more easily to achieve with the "old" paints containing solvents that with the waterborne system.
Another disadvantage is the grey primer/UV base, which shines trough the fabric on the inner side. As our Hatz will not be upholstered in the cockpit area (remember, we want a 1930 aeroplane), this won't work for our purpose.

We now hope to get a solution to import the Stits system up to the silver UV paint. Will keep you posted.

Kind regards
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

I too like the Steward waterborne system. I did the dope finish on the Pietenpol over Stits covering. With years of finishing experience I would not do dope over the new coverings, only over cotton or linen, to many issues start to show up down the road. An since the Hatz is not a restoration or reproduction of any particular airplane, I plan on using more up-to-date covering processes. ... but thats just me.

Now when they painted planes or parts sliver back then, did they not just add silver powder to clear dope to make a silver paint?

Hans & Sam, your plane will be fantastic no matter what finish system you use!

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

With regard to the interior appearance, Mark Marino supplied me with unstamped fabric and white polybrush which went on the fuselage. No distracting printing and and the white underside is much more acceptable than pink or silver. As an aside, the base coat of my Stinson Maroon fuselage is white to give extra punch to the color. The gray/silver polyspray u/v coats will darken the finish coat, to a greater degree the lighter the final color.

John, hardly flew enough to justify having the plane this summer.
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

Yes, the un-stamped fabric is great for experimental planes here in the USA, do not know what is required in Europe. Its also a little lower cost and in reality the same material.

The white base coat is a great idea to brighten up the color coats, makes a big difference.

I think they just make the poly-brush pink so its easier to see when applying it (?). It uses zinc as a filler, I believe, that is why one can get it un-colored, I did that too. Have tiny white flakes in it.

John, did you add the silver coat at all?

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann