Fuel tank ...

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
womenfly2

Fuel tank ...

Post by womenfly2 »

In studying the drawing of the aluminum fuel tank, has anyone fasten it together using a different means other then welding?
Or have built it out of other materials? Tern-plate steel, brass, composites ....?

Just curious.

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
dougm

Re: Fuel tank ...

Post by dougm »

Seems to me I recall someone building a composite tank for the c/s, but can't remember who. I downloaded his construction pics pics on my home machine, so let me see if I can scrounge something up tonight. Aside from that one, I'm not aware of any other "alternative" tanks... maybe other folks have encountered some???
Doug
Building Hatz Classic s/n 093 & Rotec R3600
Hatz Webmaster
Dave

Post by Dave »

Have not done it , but I see no reason the tank could not be made up by riveting aluminum sections together, with copious quantities of "proseal" or a similar fuel cell sealer. My RV has this style construction as did the tanks I built for my AirCamper and VP-1. None of those tanks leaked and were easy to build.

Having said that, I will probably weld up the tank for my Classic when I get there.

Dave
alvinsager

Post by alvinsager »

Hi,
I wanted a Classic style tank for my CB-1 to increase fuel capacity to 25 gallons. I felt the 3/32 thickness of the Classic tank was excessive and went ahead with my version in 1/16 5052. Everything was coming along nicely until I welded the top to the tub. I couldn't live with the puckered look due to my technique and a welder that had intermittent high frequency (tig). I cut the top off and riveted a lip, about 1 x 1 angle all around the tub. I then attached the new top with closed end countersunk pulled rivets and copious amounts of pro-seal. I think it is the best of both worlds, the tub is welded and the top is riveted. Don't try it without a pneumatic rivet puller.
Al
kconner

Post by kconner »

I built an aluminum tank for my CB-1 like the design for the Classic. I made form blocks out of 3/4 in. particle board to create both end ribs and two baffles evenly spaced in the center. The tub part of the tank is formed so the forward and aft lip extends over and rests on the front and rear center section spars. There is 1/4 in clearance between the bottom of the tank and the center section floor. The entire tank is assembled with rivets and pro-seal. The only part that is welded is the aluminum filler neck then a little bondo to smooth that area out. The upper surface of the tank is the upper airfoil shape for a little more capacity which I calculate to be about 23 gal. The top of the tank was attached with self sealing counter-sunk rivets dipped in pro-seal. I built the tank out of .063 material which the plans called for but .050 would be much better and lighter. I also turned the lip off of the aluminum outlet flanges and attached those with rivets and pro-seal. This design once intalled makes the entire center section very rigid and strong. I really enjoyed building the tank and real happy with the results.

Kevin Conner
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Jeff and I built the tank for our Classic to the drawings and used .063 5052 for the tub and .093 5052 for the top and welded it. The actual capacity is 22 gal. The Makelan paperwork says the capacity is 25 gal. We are not sure where the other 5 gal. is supposed to go.
John Hanson
jwhanson

Post by jwhanson »

Correction. We are not sure where the other 3 gal. is supposed to go.
John
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

Great info here, thanks to all that posted. Seems many ways to build the petrol tank, all depends on what the builder is comfortable with skill wise and tools available. All work and that is the great educational value to homebuilding, many ways of accomplishing/building the same thing.

I built a fiberglass tank for my Piet which performed very well. No issues with fuel effecting the resins if the correct one is used.

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

I built mine the same way Kevin did his. I had a pro welder tig weld the filler neck. Had a little distortion, but it popped right out afterward. I built mine with 1/8th inch clearance on the bottom and took the sides in as close to the end ribs as I could. I had to taper the front and rear of the tank ends to miss the wing attach brackets and bolts. I wanted as much fuel as possible. Haven't filled it to measure yet, but calculations run around 25.5 to 26 gal. I just had to guestimate the curvature of the top of the tank.

Kevin, wish we lived closer so I could help with your fabric! I knocked over a can of Polyfiber reducer the other day and the smell of the little bit that dribbled out brought back good memories of covering my Hatz. You'll have fun too!
mtaylor

Post by mtaylor »

Oh yeah, my tank has .040 for the main body and .050 for the lid.