5/16" streamline wires?

A forum about all aspects of the construction and maintenance of the Billy Dawson inspired modified Hatz Classic biplane. Here is the place to ask your questions and get the answers from the real experts.
mmcgrew

5/16" streamline wires?

Post by mmcgrew »

The classic calls for most of the wires to be 1/4". Only the front flying wires are 5/16". I have access to the right length wires in 5/16" at a very good price. Any thoughts on using 5/16 all the way around?

Michael
N838MM
JBMoore

Re: 5/16" streamline wires?

Post by JBMoore »

Something to consider other than the obvious "tonnage" you are adding with the larger wires....
On the rear of each wing in the area where the one landing wire goes between two flying wires. Check to see if you have enough clearance.

Jeff Moore
Jeff Moore
Treasurer-HBA
Pendleton, IN.
womenfly2

Post by womenfly2 »

mmcgrew wrote:The classic calls for most of the wires to be 1/4". Only the front flying wires are 5/16". I have access to the right length wires in 5/16" at a very good price. Any thoughts on using 5/16 all the way around?

Michael
N838MM
Okay, you sparked my curiosity. Where did you get a " Very good price" from?

Blue skies,
Keri-Ann
Love2Fly ...
Keri-Ann

Web site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol Plan Packages
Picture site: Keri-Ann's Pietenpol
mmcgrew

Post by mmcgrew »

OK - The Air park where I keep my plane. One of the residence acquired a lot of wires from his dads estate. He is selling them on line at www.flyingwires.com.
Note that many of the wires have either long threads or long round areas (combo wires) that can be modified to fit the Hatz. I also got my tail support wires from here. I had to add a few turns of threads - but I also have access to roll threading. Note also that some of the Stearman wires will work on the Hatz. Requires a little modifications (tab length and locations) but you can save big bucks.

PS - The weight difference between a 46" long 5/16" wire and a 1/4" wire is not much.

Thanks

Michael
N838MM